Spasskaya Tower Festival

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
This is a week-long annual international festival of military musical bands in Moscow, which culminates in a grand show on Red Square, at the Spasskaya Tower, hence the name

at least, it is supposed to be military bands and performance groups only, but many countries do own other things too, for example, in 2013, China sent Shaolin warrior monks, who put on a martial arts show:
and in 2017, these ones
:D The Chinese pretty much always have the most colorful and unique performances there lmao

Last year, though, these was also an orchestra from the Netherlands, who played while riding around on bikes, that was also pretty cool lol

And the Navy Orchestra of Oman looked pretty exotic too haha

Anyway, some pics of this year's participants:

The International Celtic Pipes and Drums and the International Celtic Dance Team, which apparently unite musicians from various countries, Ireland, Scotland, and North America too, of Celtic background and who love their music

These guys were there last year also, I liked em:
:)

There will definitely be some exotic shit this year too, for instance, in their first showing, the Egyptian Military Symphonic Band made a grand entrance in Ancient Egypt-inspired costumes

:D

Traditional Caucasus dancers from the Higher Military School of neighboring ex-Soviet Azerbaijan

The Chinese, for once, are apparently just sending a regular old orchestra, no Kung Fu monks or any such thing, this year haha

North Korea also deputing this year lmao

Caption where I found this pic didn't name the country, but, Japan, I'm pretty sure???

And their own various orchestras and collectives from Russian military and security forces will be putting on own great shows all week too

Will have some awesome videos to post here by Sunday :)

Reactions: Friday13

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Full video of the final Red Square festival:

My own personal excerpts.

The Koreas:

North

VS.

South

Again, both were deputing this year.

As was Japan

China, as I also mentioned in OP, sent a normal PLA orchestra this year, nothing extreme, as they are know for haha

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Kazakhstan

Egypt
LMAO Pharaohs haha

Azerbaijan

Turkey

Mireille Mathieu, old French singer, beloved by elder generations in Russia too, since the Soviet era, and she has been invited to perform her hits at every single Spasskaya Tower fest, in all the years it been held, she is considered its living symbol now, pretty much