"Special needs" and violence in schools in Canada

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
But, is basic spanking considered "violence"?
It is, by definition. Apply the same action to the face as to the rear end, for example. No difference; all one would be arguing about, then, would be the acceptability of one versus the other.

Reactions: The Man

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
It's a catch 22.

What's worse? Having that violent kid with zero home support integrated into regular school? Or locking him away hidden till he's 18 then chucking him out into society?
You know, when I first came to Canada and started high school here, this was the biggest culture shock for me.

Seriously.

Not all the Asian kids, in Richmond lol I actually had met people from India, for example, before (when lived with uncle in Moscow, the Indian Embassy wasn't far from our apartment building, in fact, some Indian diplomats and their families lived there, in our building, I saw plenty of them; funnily enough, never did see a single man there wearing a Sikh turban...)

But the "special" kids, with their assistants and such.

Very unusual it was, for me, seeing them at our regular school.

Back in Moscow, we had this one kid, I recall, Borya, Boris Kurtov, his name was, he was never right in the head. Screamed at people at times. Attacked a teacher once, actually kicked her in the stomach.

Long story short, it was after he'd brought a knife to school and threatened people with it, a special psychiatric ambulance came by, with the four huge orderlies in white coats, they took him away, actually put him into a straitjacket, and dragged him the hell out of there. And we never saw him again. Apparently, he was sent to some sort of special institution for fucked up kids like him...

It was only in 2017, I believe, that kids with physical disabilities were permitted into regular schools in Russia

And even then, there was lots of push back and delays, with school administrators in many regions protesting that their building wasn't ready to accommodate such pupils (well, it;s true, most had no wheelchair ramps and such...), and some parents of "normal" children actually didn't want their kids "exposed" to those their own age in wheelchairs and otherwise disabled, because it would depress them or whatever, no joke...

Mental disabilities? Forget about it.

Those with Down Syndrome and such are still kept in institutions over there, mainly run by the Orthodox Church

So, yeah, meeting such folks in my new school here shocked the hell out of me... But, in a positive way :)

I learned to accept them as no different and no worse than myself...

Aug 2018
Vancouver
There was a problem kid in my grade 1 class who grinded another kids finger in one of those old fashioned steel pencil sharpeners. He was sent home and never came back. That was early 80s and even then it just wasn't talked about. Bad kids just.... Disappeared. Even my parents didn't know what happened to him.

I also remember when they brought some of the Native kids in to integrate them into the city public school. As opposed to the reserve school. Probably a trial deal with the reserve.

They were.... Sorry to say it.... Like trolls. Big and lumbering and slow in every way. Physically. Mentally, but kind and goofy. Then the next year they were gone. And my parents never heard a thing about it.

It's so different now. I get sent 5 bloody emails a week from my kids teachers.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
There was a problem kid in my grade 1 class who grinded another kids finger in one of those old fashioned steel pencil sharpeners. He was sent home and never came back. That was early 80s and even then it just wasn't talked about. Bad kids just.... Disappeared. Even my parents didn't know what happened to him.

I also remember when they brought some of the Native kids in to integrate them into the city public school. As opposed to the reserve school. Probably a trial deal with the reserve.

They were.... Sorry to say it.... Like trolls. Big and lumbering and slow in every way. Physically. Mentally, but kind and goofy. Then the next year they were gone. And my parents never heard a thing about it.

It's so different now. I get sent 5 bloody emails a week from my kids teachers.
lol I'm beginning to dread the day our boys start school...

Nah, I'm sure it will be fun. But, more for them, than for me...

I am the type of parent who will spend the day worrying about them, out there, surrounded by strangers... haha

Reactions: HCProf
Sep 2016
My own world
It is different over there, more permissible for teachers to get physical with pupils, yes
Majority of older people, raised in Soviet Union, support such behavior by teachers. They think brute force is sometimes needed, to keep unruly kids in line... Say that their teachers once smacked them around too, and they turned out fine lol

I don't know... I think it is somewhat barbaric also, yes, sure...
l grew up here and back 50 years ago the teacher could hit you and if your parents found out they would hit you again.