Sportswriter says Japanese winner of Indy 500 made him "uncomfortable"

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
A Denver sportswriter is out of his job after triggering an onslaught of criticism for tweeting that a Japanese driver winning Sunday's Indianapolis 500 made him "uncomfortable."

Terry Frei, a sports reporter for the Denver Post, sent the questionable tweet shortly after Japanese race car driver Takuma Sato hailed victory in the illustrious Indy 500. "Nothing specifically personal, but I am very uncomfortable with a Japanese driver winning the Indianapolis 500 during Memorial Day weekend," he wrote.

Frei apologized Sunday but not after doubling down in his response to the first wave of heat by tweeting "THIS is what Memorial Day is about. Dave Schreiner's death in Battle of Okinawa. Not for squeamish or 'sensitive.'"

Schreiner was an American football player who died while serving alongside his Frei's father in World War II, and whom the sportswriter had written about in the past. Unsurprisingly, another round of criticism followed, leading Frei to delete his tweets and replace them with "I apologize."

He then went on to apologize to the people he "offended" and also apologized to Sato. The Denver Post released a statement on Monday apologizing for the "disrespectful and unacceptable tweet." "Terry Frei is no longer an employee of The Denver Post," the statement added.

Sato became the first Japanese driver to win the Indianapolis 500, the nation's most recognized racing event, after outpacing more than 30 other cars.

Sportswriter Tweets That Japanese Indy 500 Winner Makes Him 'Uncomfortable' - NBC News

Jul 2014
Border Fence
A pretty dumb statement.

It is a looking glass into how some people think of race and history. Would he have had the same reaction if say an Italian or a German won the race. I doubt it.