Stanley Cup Playoffs

Jan 2016
Colorado
I don't follow hockey very much, but I have taken note that the Colorado Avalanche, who snuck into the playoffs as the #8 seed in their conference, are on the verge of eliminating the #1 seeded Calgary Flames, having staked out a 3-1 lead in a 7-game series. The Flames will now have to win three games in a row to avoid elimination:

Stanley Cup Playoffs Buzz: Golden Knights try to eliminate Sharks

Colorado Avalanche 3, Calgary Flames 2 (OT): Mikko Rantanen scored 10:23 into overtime to put the Avalanche one win from closing out the Flames in the Western Conference First Round. The Flames led 2-0 in the third period, but J.T. Compher scored at 8:10 and Rantanen tied it with 2:50 remaining. Avalanche goalie Philipp Grubauer finished with 35 saves, none bigger than the one he made against Mikael Backlund 2:35 into overtime. Backlund took a point-blank shot from the right of the crease; Grubauer, while sprawled on the ice, lifted his left pad to stop the puck.

And the #1 seed in the other conference, the Tampa Bay Lightning, have already been eliminated by the Columbus Blue Jackets. Top seeded teams going down in pro hockey. Interesting. I might start watching the Avalanche if they can advance to the next round of the playoffs.

Jan 2016
Colorado
Well, well. The Colorado Avalanche finished off the Calgary Flames tonight in their best-of-7 series by the score of 5-1 on Calgary's home ice. After losing the first game in the series by the score of 4-0, the Avalanche outscored the Flames 17-7 over the next four games to win the series 4 games to 1, to advance to the 2nd round.

This is the first time in the history of the Stanley Cup playoffs that both number one seeds have been eliminated in the first round of the playoffs, with the Tampa Bay Lightning having been swept four games to none in their series with the Columbus Blue Jackets. Parity seems to rule in the NHL this year.

Don't yet know who the Avalanche will be playing in the next round, but I think I'll be watching them from here on.....

Jan 2019
Tempe, AZ
I don't follow hockey very much, but I have taken note that the Colorado Avalanche, who snuck into the playoffs as the #8 seed in their conference, are on the verge of eliminating the #1 seeded Calgary Flames, having staked out a 3-1 lead in a 7-game series. The Flames will now have to win three games in a row to avoid elimination:
Same exact thing happened in the Eastern Conference!!! :confused:

The Orlando Solar Bears managed to accomplish the unbelievable feat of coming back from being down in the 0-3 in the IHL Playoffs, not long after they even became a team.

They even had to come back in Game 7, being behind in the 3rd period against the tough Detroit Vipers.

Then in the IHL:

Now in the ECHL: