States regulators call Trump's health plans "junk"

HayJenn

Former Staff
Jul 2014
CA
The Trump administration's new policy of expanding the sale of “short-term” insurance plans as a cheaper alternative to ObamaCare is quickly running into opposition from state regulators.The Department of Health and Human Services is urging states to cooperate with the federal government, but instead, insurance commissioners are panning the new plans as "junk” insurance and state legislatures are putting restrictions on their sales. State insurance officials argue that, despite being less expensive than ObamaCare plans, the short-term plans are bad for consumers and aren't an adequate substitute for comprehensive insurance. “These policies are substandard, don’t cover essential health benefits, and consumers at a minimum don’t understand [what they’re buying], and at worse are misled,” California Insurance Commissioner Dave Jones (D) said. States also fear the availability of short-term plans will drive up premium costs for ObamaCare.

Azar faces a tough sell as some state officials are already taking action to limit or highly regulate the plans.

California currently only allows short-term plans to last for 185 days, with an option to renew for another 185 days only. The Democratic-dominated state legislature is poised to pass a bill that would ban the sale of short-term insurance plans outright.

Lawmakers in Hawaii passed a law that would essentially eliminate the state’s short-term health plan market by prohibiting their sale to anyone who is eligible for a plan on the ObamaCare exchange.

In Maryland, Republican Gov. Larry Hogan in April signed a bill that limits short-term plans to three months and prohibits their renewal.

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/401351-states-fight-trump-on-non-obamacare-health-plans

Saw this coming a mile away. These really are "junk" plans. No matter how much other people want to "spin" it.

Reactions: 4 people
Feb 2011
Boise, ID
The Trump administration's new policy of expanding the sale of “short-term” insurance plans as a cheaper alternative to ObamaCare is quickly running into opposition from state regulators.The Department of Health and Human Services is urging states to cooperate with the federal government, but instead, insurance commissioners are panning the new plans as "junk” insurance and state legislatures are putting restrictions on their sales. State insurance officials argue that, despite being less expensive than ObamaCare plans, the short-term plans are bad for consumers and aren't an adequate substitute for comprehensive insurance. “These policies are substandard, don’t cover essential health benefits, and consumers at a minimum don’t understand [what they’re buying], and at worse are misled,” California Insurance Commissioner Dave Jones (D) said. States also fear the availability of short-term plans will drive up premium costs for ObamaCare.
One of these things is the real reason they're pissed. The other is a fake reason. Do you know which is which?

Reactions: 1 person

HayJenn

Former Staff
Jul 2014
CA
One of these things is the real reason they're pissed. The other is a fake reason. Do you know which is which?
Since I will assume you have never had to get a short term insurance plan, I will assume they are upset over both. I already told you about my experience - they are nothing but junk.

I'm not surprised at all that actual state health regulators are going to limit them.

Reactions: 3 people
Feb 2011
Boise, ID
Since I will assume you have never had to get a short term insurance plan, I will assume they are upset over both. I already told you about my experience - they are nothing but junk.
A plan with premiums of $1,000 in the 1990s was probably not like one of these plans. I would stop referencing your personal experience from a quarter century ago.

I'm not surprised at all that actual state health regulators are going to limit them.
Well me neither, but the insistence that "the plans are junk" is bullshit, and we can see that because they are coming right out and pointing to the real reason (adverse selection in the ACA-compliant individual market).

The whole point of ACA was to force low-risk, low-cost people into pools with higher-risk, higher-cost people. The individual mandate in addition to the "essential benefits" was the way they accomplished that.

Jan 2016
Colorado

Azar faces a tough sell as some state officials are already taking action to limit or highly regulate the plans.

California currently only allows short-term plans to last for 185 days, with an option to renew for another 185 days only. The Democratic-dominated state legislature is poised to pass a bill that would ban the sale of short-term insurance plans outright.

Lawmakers in Hawaii passed a law that would essentially eliminate the state’s short-term health plan market by prohibiting their sale to anyone who is eligible for a plan on the ObamaCare exchange.

In Maryland, Republican Gov. Larry Hogan in April signed a bill that limits short-term plans to three months and prohibits their renewal.

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/401351-states-fight-trump-on-non-obamacare-health-plans

Saw this coming a mile away. These really are "junk" plans. No matter how much other people want to "spin" it.
I think these Trump health care insurance plans probably have about the same value as a degree from Trump University.

Reactions: 3 people

TNVolunteer73

Former Staff
Nov 2014
TN

ROFLMBO.

You know the "Trump" plans are OBAMACARE PLANS, Trump has not CHANGED THE PLANs with exception of removing the mandate, WHICH DIDN'T CHANGE THE PLANs one single Letter or Punctuation mark..

SO WHAT YOU ARE SAYING THE STATES ARE REGULATING OBAMA'S FAILURE...

FROM THE TEA PARTY WITH LOVE WE TOLD YOU OBAMA'S HEALTHCARE PLANS WERE CRAP.

Reactions: 2 people
Dec 2015
SoCal
ROFLMBO.

You know the "Trump" plans are OBAMACARE PLANS, Trump has not CHANGED THE PLANs with exception of removing the mandate, WHICH DIDN'T CHANGE THE PLANs one single Letter or Punctuation mark..

The Trump plans recognize preexisting conditions, which means I couldn't buy one no matter how much I agreed to pay.

HCProf

Council Hall
Sep 2014
USA

I would like to know what the state health regulators are doing for people who do not qualify for subsidies and cannot afford 1000.00 a month premiums with 10K deductibles such as the exchanges. What do you suggest for middle class Americans do who can not afford the ACA insurance? I looked up these plans and they do not seem to be that bad of a deal..if you do not have a pre-existing conditions. Many people do not have pre-existing conditions and these plans are affordable and they cover more than you suggest. All these plans do is offer short term solutions until something better comes along...such as Medicare eligibility or a new job. We can't expect people to be punished because they cannot afford the insurances like the ACA but they do need something to help with medical expenses. I am not seeing the big outrage here. I think these plans may have changed since you used one of them.

Take a look at some of these options. They are better than nothing.

https://www.uhone.com/FileHandler.ashx?FileName=45061P-G201806.pdf
https://www.uhone.com/FileHandler.ashx?FileName=45173-G201806.pdf
https://www.uhc.com/individual-and-family/short-term-health-insurance/what-is-short-term-health-insurance

Reactions: 2 people

HCProf

Council Hall
Sep 2014
USA
The Trump plans recognize preexisting conditions, which means I couldn't buy one no matter how much I agreed to pay.
You wouldn't be able to afford a ACA plan either. If you have any issues and are over 50, you will be covered but you will pay through the nose for it. You are punished for being middle age and sick...but you will be covered. Not many people who are disabled or have a condition cannot afford Obamacare anyways.

Sep 2013
On a hill
ROFLMBO.

FROM THE TEA PARTY WITH LOVE WE TOLD YOU OBAMA'S HEALTHCARE PLANS WERE CRAP.
When was that?