Statues of CSA personnel

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
Now that some confederate statues are being removed, it'd be a good idea to relocate them to civwar battlefields imo. I'm a bit of a history geek so I like visiting historical battlefields.. it'd be neat to look at them there in it's military context.

For instance moving General Stuart's statue at Richmond to Gettysburg would inform the visitors why General Lee blamed him for the CSA losing that battle. oh and take it down from it's high pedestal to eye level to humanize it..

btw, as a lil kid Gen JEB Stuart was my favorite civwar personality :dopey:

Feb 2016
Yoknapatawpha County
Now that some confederate statues are being removed, it'd be a good idea to relocate them to civwar battlefields imo. I'm a bit of a history geek so I like visiting historical battlefields.. it'd be neat to look at them there in it's military context.

For instance moving General Stuart's statue at Richmond to Gettysburg would inform the visitors why General Lee blamed him for the CSA losing that battle. oh and take it down from it's high pedestal to eye level to humanize it..

I don't think that's what they have in mind.

Sep 2014
South FL
Lee said he felt blind because Stuart was off galavanting, but at the end of the day its not like the AoP surprised him. Where did Lee think they were and looking at the roads where did he intend to turn to meet the AoP, was he going to cross the Susquehanna?

Many remember Pickett's charge but many forget the totality of the plan. Stuart's statue should be in the calvary field. Many people actually skip this part of the battlefield (I dont think there is anything for Stuart there), but indeed Lee's attack wasn't just a frontal assault, it had a pincer movement in there. The plan of course was for both pincers to penetrate.....neither did.

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious

A museum or a battlefield would be an excellent idea for relocation. Of course, that makes it harder for those idiotic claims that history is being erased, but oh well.

May 2006
They should build a church. Holy Anachronism of the Sore Losers. Yeah, I know they won't understand what it means, but that's okay: it sounds vaguely like a church name. They an put a shrine with a bunch of confederate statues and flags on it and all gather together and commiserate over battles lost 150 years ago, fought in defense of slavery.

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
I say they could all be stored at Donald Trump's Mar-A-Lago Resort. Plenty of room there, and it seems like a fitting final resting place for the statues of traitors.
Yes, going to private collections is an option as well..

Dallas' Robert E. Lee Statue Is Coming Down - D Magazine
City Manager T.C. Broadnax told council members that removing and storing the Lee Park statue would cost about $450,000 in excess revenue from the city. Mayor Mike Rawlings intimated that part of the task force’s goal will be to explore how private money could pay for the statue’s removal. Bravo Walker, a sculptor and member of the task force, told the City Council that minutes before the meeting a “private person” had expressed interest in placing the statue on private property, and offered to pay for it. (Rawlings: “We’ll talk later.”) A man who identified himself as the great-great-grandson of Lee said his family was prepared to buy the statue from the city.
..snips..