Story of a sex slave...

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
I just came across this. Crazy...

Meet Blessing Obuson, age 20, from Nigeria

She is now stuff in legal limbo in Russia, since 2018, relying on support from charity groups and kind strangers

This is her story (bloody hell, I am starting like a "Law & Order" episode; which is kinda fitting here, actually...)

So, Blessing was living her life in Nigeria, and was more of less satisfied with that. Until, in November 2017, her mother spoke to a friend of hers, whose daughter was apparently living in Moscow.

The mother put Blessing in touch with this other young woman. That one told her how she can earn decent money in Russia, if she came over. She, this other woman, claimed to have her own business in Moscow and promised Blessing a well paying job. She did not, however, specify, what sort of job it would be.

Blessing had her reservations, but, under pressure from both her mom and this other woman, gave in.

As per Nigerian custom, apparently, she had to go to a Juju shaman (Juju is a "dark" opposite magic to Woodoo, apparently, as Blessing herself explained in the article; and people in Nigeria believe passionately in these things) and swear to him to abide by the terms of the deal with the other lady in Moscow. If she violated the deal, the shaman would curse her and she would go insane and her whole family would die horribly; or something to that effect. Fascinating religion, really. Similar to some native Siberian shamanic and also Slavic rodnover/neo pagan sects in Russia itself, actually... But, I digress.

So, she swore this oath, gave the shaman some of her hair also (by which he would, apparently, maintain some sort of magic control over her); and flew to Moscow. She was instructed, by the woman in Moscow and another Nigerian man who would meet her there, how to obtain a FanID pass for the upcoming soccer World Cup, to enter Russia. She was told very strictly to tell Russian immigration officials at the airport that she was coming for the Cup, and never mention that she was going to work in Russia, or she would not be allowed in.

The Nigerian couple met her at the airport in Moscow, and drove her to a flat in the city. There were other young women from Nigeria also living there.

The couple in charge took away her purse, with her passport and other documents. She was then told she would be working as a prostitute.

Blessing was horrified and tried to refuse. The other woman than threatened her family back in Nigeria with the curse, so she backed down.

Nonetheless, when they sent her to her first "client", Blessing, though she spoke no Russian at all, while the man spoke no English; was, nonetheless, somehow able to communicate to him that she did not want to have sex with him and is being forced into it, with gestures and such.

The guy, to his credit, I suppose, refused also to take her against her will. He did, however, complain to her matron, that other Nigerian lady, before he left.

That one then beat Blessing severely and threatened to tear up her passport and throw her out on the street, if she caused problems again.

Long story short, Blessing spent months, in this hell. Until, late last year, she met another client, named Anton.

For whatever reason, she felt like could trust him (plus, had little to lose, at that point, really; I am sure she figured she would be stuck in that brothel till she died...), and confided in him her situation. He said little, but actually promised to help her.

Anton later came back for another visit. Unbeknownst to Blessing, it would be the end of her ordeal. As soon as the Nigerian matron took the cash payment from him, law enforcement agents burst into the apartment.

Turns out, Anton was an undercover officer from a Russian police unit combatting human trafficking and sexual slavery.

The couple who held Blessing and the other girls in that apartment are now under arrest. She and the others must also stay in the country, for now, as witnesses in the upcoming trial. A women's charity organization has provided them a temporary home in Moscow.

No less than 2,000 women from Nigeria were trafficked to Russia ahead of the 2018 World Cup; and many are reportedly still in sexual slavery there: Russia Investigates World Cup Nigerian Prostitution Ring - The Moscow Times

:(

• Sad
Reactions: Ian Jeffrey
Jul 2014
midwest
It happens in lots of countries all over the world.

The girls usually come from third world hole countries for promises of a better life...

• Sad
Reactions: The Man

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
It happens in lots of countries all over the world.

The girls usually come from third world hole countries for promises of a better life...
"Better life" in Russia, though, of all places...

Well, I suppose, compared to Africa...

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Yeah, if you are poor in Nigeria, just about anyplace else sounds like a step up...
Such an awful, unequal world we live in...

Enough to make one embrace Communism, if I didn't know own Soviet history and how there was no equality in that society either...

Crusher

Former Staff
Aug 2011
Heaven Above
What a beautiful young lady and a tragic story. The sex trade should be legalized and yes, regulated. I am rarely for regulations being increased, but when it comes to enslavement potential like this, it needs to happen.

• Love

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
What a beautiful young lady and a tragic story. The sex trade should be legalized and yes, regulated. I am rarely for regulations being increased, but when it comes to enslavement potential like this, it needs to happen.
It works in Scandinavia, certainly...

Never happen in a place like Russia though.

I can't imagine that this Nigerian couple were running this brothel in Moscow, all by themselves. Hell, no. They were likely paying local police and other officials to look the other way on it all.

And that's why nothing will change there - the corruption. Too many, in law enforcement and the government, making money off this shit...

:(

Reactions: Crusher

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Does it? Prostitution is illegal in Sweden. Most prostitutes in Denmark (about 65%) are foreigners - many of them trafficked from Nigeria and Thailand.
I recall reading about one Scandinavian country, forget if Sweden or Norway, where SELLING sex is legal, while BUYING it is not. Weird...

But, yeah, thanks for info. Will have to research the Nordic countries more.

BTW, I am not sure why many articles I see on the OP issue, with Russia, seem to only connect it to the World Cup.

Fact is, African girls were trafficked there way before the WC too...

Here is an article from 2016, from DW, about another girl from Nigeria also named Blessing, apparently a common name over there, I guess:

Two years ago a woman came to Blessing's hometown in the south of Nigeria and told the young woman there was work for her in Russia. She told Blessing she would have a job in a supermarket, and that it would take the her just five or six months to earn the money to reimburse the costs of the visa and the journey to Russia. After paying back the $40,000, Blessing could keep all the money she made, the woman said.

Blessing said her parents are very poor and that the idea of going to Russia to help them and to save money for her education appealed to her. She agreed.

Only when she arrived, did she discover everything the woman had said was a lie.

There was no supermarket job. Instead, Blessing told DW, she was forced to work as a prostitute.

She was driven around Moscow to have sex with men. One night, she was taken to an apartment building where one man was apparently waiting for her. When she got inside, she discovered there were eight men. She was forced to sleep with all of them, she said. When she refused to have sex without a condom, they took back the money they had paid and beat and molested her, she said.

Then they threw her from the fourth floor of the building.

Blessing broke her hip when she hit the ground. She spent two-days on life-support in the hospital until her treatment was stopped because, she said, she could not afford to pay.

She now cannot walk properly and is confined to a wheelchair.
And the corruption I mentioned:

Trafficked on student visas

Blessing's story is not uncommon, said Kenny Kehinde, who works with several Moscow NGOs focused on preventing human trafficking. Around 2,000-3,000 Nigerian girls - many from poor, remote villages - are brought to Russia every year for sex work, he said.

"This is international modern-day slavery, where the girls are brought here with the help of some Russian government officials, some Nigerian authorities and so-called 'madams' [pimps] who exploit these girls for sex in Russia," said Kehinde.
More: How Nigerian girls are forced into prostitution in Russia | DW | 21.04.2016

Plenty of men over there who crave exotic, pardon me, "black pussy" (that is the everyday term for this in Russia...) and willing to pay well for it

Lucrative business, for some...

And hell, for these poor girls, of course... :(

Nov 2007
Prague, Czech Republic
I recall reading about one Scandinavian country, forget if Sweden or Norway, where SELLING sex is legal, while BUYING it is not. Weird...
That's how it works in both Norway and Sweden (I had no idea about Norway, but just looked it up). The idea is that if you just ban prostitution, then the burden of law enforcement falls upon the prostitutes, who may themselves be victims of trafficking or simply desperation. Banning specifically buying, rather than selling, means that the police can only target the clients; and also means that a prostitute who becomes a victim of violent abuse can go to the police to report this without fear of being arrested for being a prostitute.