Stray thought about the evil of mankind

Amelia

Former Staff
Jun 2014
Wisconsin
I was drinking some warm liquid and it reminded me of how baby girls are (or have been) killed in India.

If you're going to kill a child ... why not just kill it ... why choose a painful method?

So I googled it to make sure I wasn't remembering something which never happened ... and sure enough ... that's how it is (or has been) done. Why torture the children? Why not just kill them outright? What's the point of compounding the inhumanity?

Amravati, who lives in a village near Rani in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu, said she killed two of her own day-old daughters by pouring scalding chicken soup down their throats, one of the most widely practiced methods of infanticide in southern India. She showed where she buried their bodies -- under piles of cow dung in the tiny courtyard of her home.
February 14, 1993: BORN OPPRESSED -- Washington Post

Amelia

Former Staff
Jun 2014
Wisconsin
:(

So much pain. So much damage to the psyche of those who live.

And the problem continues. 2012: Trash Bin Babies: India's Female Infanticide Crisis - The Atlantic

I learned of the practice from an Indian friend in the 90's. She herself was valued by her parents. She wasn't as good a cook as her mother because her father told her her studies were more important than domestic lessons. But she was still coerced into an arranged marriage she didn't want. (She could have said no, but it would have upset her parents so badly and she let her brother guilt her into saying yes.)

Jun 2011
God Bless Texas
That's an excellent question. Wouldn't suffocation be kinder? I don't mean kind, I mean kinder.

Amelia

Former Staff
Jun 2014
Wisconsin
Exactly.

It's horrific, but why make it more horrific? Why not make it relatively painless?

So sad.

So many people make me hate humanity. Just remembering about the kinds of torture people have put so much effort into devising over the history of humankind. Including what people here in America do to vulnerable beings. We're horrible.

And I know many of us are not horrible and many try to heal to what other humans have done. But every now and then I'm slammed by a thought of how any person or nation or culture could have developed to such a point. How do any of us let it get so far?

Jun 2011
God Bless Texas
There might be a specific reason. When I was reading 'Infidel' there were a lot of terrible things told in there and there was a reason it was done that way.

Not one that would make sense to you or I but a reason.

I never read about babies though - only people old enough to be 'punished'.

Muslim girls in some countries undergo torture as punishment and example to other girls.

Seen talking to a boy: boarded up in the attic to die of starvation.

Maybe the girl babies are seen as cursed for being girls?

Feb 2011
Boise, ID
There are some cultures that remain truly barbaric and reptilian in spite of all more recent human advancement and progress. They tend to have extremely high birth rates and be overpopulated, incapable of forethought, scientific curiosity or any of the other qualities of modern humans. Their behavior is often disgusting and pathetic.

But rather than write them off as "evil" or some other term signifying worthlessness, we should do exactly what we're doing, which is trade freely with them and expose their cultures to the benefits of economic development, education, democratization and modernization and other things that will ultimately bury their superstitions and barbaric, archaic, idiot behaviors because their people will see the way modern human existence really is and ought to be. And you know what else will happen? Their birth rates will drop voluntarily. More of them will consciously choose to have 2 children or less.

This is perhaps the one of the things I hate most about the left-wing desire to eliminate free(ish) trade with these countries. We need these countries to be able to produce and advance, educate themselves and act smarter and more civilized. None of us benefits from them continuing to pop out dozens of children like morons, creating billions more people that the Earth can't support and that they'll out of pure ignorance neglect and torture, ensuring such mental disturbance that it will happen again when those kids grow up to child-rearing age.

We must not push economic policies that keep these people living like this. They have to be allowed to participate in modern economic, social and cultural development activities.