Students at South Carolina School Told to Pick Cotton, Sing "Slave Song"

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
A South Carolina mother was outraged after her 10-year-old son was told to pick cotton and sing a “slave song” while on an elementary school field trip -- but the school reportedly defended the activity, saying it was about the "Great Depression."

Jessica Blanchard, whose child attends Ebenezer Avenue Elementary in Rock Hill, S.C., told FOX46 Charlotte she was “livid” to learn her son was told to pick cotton while on the field trip during Black History Month.

“I’m African American and my ancestors picked cotton,” she said. “Why would I want my son to pick cotton and think it’s fun?”

Students at South Carolina school told to pick cotton, sing ‘slave song’ on field trip, report says

I wonder if Ms. Blanchard realizes that lots of folks picked cotton.

Not just slaves.

In fact, during the Great Depression, which is what the lesson for the field trip is supposed to be based on, there was a great increase in the number of share croppers both black and white who picked cotton.

If I recall correctly the Great Depression was some 66 years or more after the Emancipation Proclamation.

Maybe Ms. Blanchard could have benfited from the lesson a bit herself.

But, what's puzzling me is whay the children were asked to sing this alleged "slave song" in the process?

First of all ..... I can't find these lyrics anywhere.

Never heard of them.

And, secondly, what makes it a slave song?

Jan 2014
California
Mr. Ford,

Hmmm, looking at the video, the farm owners appeared to be black, and there were more white kids than black kids picking cotton.

I agree with you about the slave song. It sounds to be just a work song.

Reactions: John T Ford
Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
Picking cotten was pretty common on my father's S.C. farm it wasn't black people doing it.
Lot's of folks down here come from share cropper families.

That was only a little more than a couple of generations ago.

Slavery on the other hand is another matter.

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
Mr. Ford,

Hmmm, looking at the video, the farm owners appeared to be black, and there were more white kids than black kids picking cotton.

I agree with you about the slave song. It sounds to be just a work song.
That's what it sounds like to me.