Study finds honesty is healthy

Aug 2010
See you in a new existence!
Benjamin Franklin was right.

Study finds that avoiding lies can improve your health
Over the study period, the link between less lying and improved health was significantly stronger for participants in the no-lie group, the study found. When participants in the no-lie group told three fewer minor lies than they did in other weeks, for example, they experienced, on average, four fewer mental-health complaints and three fewer physical complaints. Mental health complaints included feeling tense or melancholy; physical complaints included sore throats and

Jan 2010
Oaxaca, Mexico
I would agree but I agree more with everything in moderation. When my daughter was in the second grade she quit wanting to go to school. She said the teacher had told her she didn't like my daughter and nothing my daughter could do would change that. So, I talked to the teacher and got a smarmy lecture about honesty. I was still expressing myself honestly as she ran to the principal's office. When asked if I wanted my daughter move to another class I said, "No, because this twit would poison the well and if all my daughter learns this year is how to deal with nasty people it will be a worthwhile year."

What passes for honesty is often passive aggressive hostility. "Damn, you're getting fat," might be honest but it's mean. "I think your son looks exactly like your brother, don't you?"

Honest and kind isn't a bad mix.

Aug 2010
What passes for honesty is often passive aggressive hostility.
Key phrase being "what passes for honesty". I don't find hostile actions to masked "honesty" to be honest. As the scientists no doubt looked for, honesty is a mindset. Although the article doesn't go into details of the study, it specifically mentions avoiding lying. Living an honest life is much better, IMO, than living a lie.

Mar 2010
Near Austin TX
Haven't read the study, and maybe it covers this, but while the findings make perfect sense, I think the state of the liars health will also be determined by what values he is subject to. If the liar holds an inner sense of Judeo-Christian values, he will most likely experience stress. But for some moral relativists and the sociopath, lying yields no stress at all. Their lying will actually give a sense of emotional fulfillment.

IMO that is.

Aug 2010
Agreed about how lying can be stress inducing. As Mark Twain said:

"Always tell the truth; then you don't have to remember anything."

OTOH, he also said "No real gentleman will tell the naked truth in the presence of ladies" which I take to mean sometimes discretion is necessary when telling the truth so as not to harm others.

Rasselas

Former Staff
Feb 2010
USA
But for some moral relativists and the sociopath, lying yields no stress at all. Their lying will actually give a sense of emotional fulfillment.

IMO that is.
Research into moral decisions suggests you're wrong. I appears humans are born with a sense of fairness and a sense of what is true. They don't need a religious doctrine to enforce this sense upon them. Sociopaths, I suppose, are an exception, but I think there are no fewer sociopaths who claim to be Judeo-Christians than in any other group.

Aug 2010
I don't agree this, I've seen a lot of healthy people and they are the biggest liars and they don't even face any mental or depression issues. Don't your see politicians around us, are they honest? But you seem them healthy as well as wealthy. It just depends on the situation which makes us to lie just to save our self from being scolded.
While I agree with your assessment, the question becomes, are those people naturally that way or were they taught to be that way? Obviously honest politicians don't get anywhere, so only the dishonest ones survive. As for the sight of "a lot of healthy people" being the biggest liars, and presuming you are talking about the USA, our culture is highly materialistic and consumer oriented. We're taught that way. We see sports "heroes" talking trash, billionaires with bad hair bragging and musicians spouting their opinions on stage. Is it any wonder that the adoring public begins to emulate them?

In the continuing psychological debate of nature vs. nurture, I think the dishonesty you've witness is more nurture, it's taught and that people, if not corrupted by such behavior would less inclined to lie.