Study: U.S. risks losing 2.2M jobs in China trade dispute

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
You didn't ask that question.
The reward would be a reduction/reversal of the massive trade deficit. The risk might be some jobs. BFD. Cortez wants to pay people who are "unwilling" to work.
Then tax finished goods so we can have the value added jobs instead of the crappy jobs in steel mills. Producing raw materials is grunt work and Trump is focusing on grabbing jobs from the wrong end of the production line.

He doesn't know his ass from his elbow and neither do his supporters.

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
Again where is the "reward" is losing even losing a million jobs?

Seems like you can't answer that question.
If I had to guess a good hard recession will drive down the price of investments the 1% are looking to buy. And they like it when we're all miserable and scrambling for money. They are entertained by our desperation.

Sep 2014
South FL
Then tax finished goods so we can have the value added jobs instead of the crappy jobs in steel mills. Producing raw materials is grunt work and Trump is focusing on grabbing jobs from the wrong end of the production line.

He doesn't know his ass from his elbow and neither do his supporters.
No, actually that is not true, they use high tech processes in places like Nucor and that shows in certain stats like sales/employee where Nucor has over a million dollars per employee. That's actually an insane stat, look it up, only a handful of companies beat that, like Apple....maybe....

Why do you want to pay higher taxes?
Why are you willing to pay taxes so that foreign governments can subsidize your competitor?

Sorry, I've been to OH and from Youngstown to Cleveland all the way over to Toledo, Akron, just not Columbus, Columbus is ok, but honestly OH is in trouble.

Unfair trade practices are to blame and there's a consequence and a major consequence is that it dampens investment in manufacturing and the result is quite dramatic.

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
The reward would be a reduction/reversal of the massive trade deficit. The risk might be some jobs. BFD. Cortez wants to pay people who are "unwilling" to work.
I asked you

Explain to me how losing 2.2 million jobs and imposing tariffs are going to "Make America Great Again"?

And your response to just ignore the hit that losing that many jobs would have on our own economic growth, coupled with the additional taxes that tariffs cause? So I take it you are in favor of 2.2 million people losing their jobs just because you belong to Trump Cult? Ok then.

And what does AOC have to do with this thread?

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
Well who should pay for the US military presence in Asia? Of course that is South Korea and Japan, directly and whatever direct deployments there are and includes treaty committments to bring the whole $700bn kill machine to bear if somebody crosses a DMZ, or South China Sea, or some other ridiculous geographic border that I don't give a rat's ass about (while 200,000 people waltz over our own southern border, I might add). And those deployments are generally there to counter the larger geopolitical threat imposed by China, primarily, and in Asia, Russia, secondarily.

Well, who should pay for that? I would suggest the people who trade with South Korea, the people who trade with Japan, China, etc.

THEY SHOULD BE THE ONES PAYING FOR IT.

Now, that's not going to help those people. Not one iota, but I'm here to tell you it shouldn't because we need to pay for Team America: World Police one way or the other and the way they are CURRENTLY doing it is FUCKING ME.

The taxes levies to pay for the military, whether they are income taxes or tariffs, are inconvenient.

I choose tariffs for that particular expenditure, alternative I'd just as soon pull out and honestly I'd rather do that

#americafirst

-----------------------------

Of course I do support free trade but there is still the concept of imposing rational basis taxation on whatever trade there is whether it is an intrastate trade, interstate trade, or international trade. You pay a sales tax, you pay for the Florida Highway Patrol or roads to be paved in Palm Beach County or Orange County. You pay an income tax, you do some things at the federal level, but you shouldn't be imposing income tax on people deriving their income from intra/interstate trade to protect South Korea. That's insane, you tax the people buying Kias and Samsungs (I own a Kia and a Samsung phone).

You can read Adam Smith's Wealth of Nations and if you read Adam Smith you should be generally impressed by his support for free trade.

Yet Adam Smith supported the Navigation Acts which of course taxed trade and otherwise restricted it to pay for the Royal Navy.

The cost for Team America: World Police sucks, but that's just too bad, it needs to be paid for and tariffs are a proportionate tax narrowly tailored to the government's interest in protecting America's foreign interests.
OK??

But none of what you posted is happening or even has been proposed to the best of my knowledge

Dealing with the here and now

So please maybe you can explain how 2.2 million people losing their jobs is "Making American Great Again".

Jan 2016
Colorado
Mr. Trump promised Americans that he would 'fix' the trade deficit. But the trade deficit is SOARING. It is higher under Trump than it EVER was under President Obama. Ironically enough, President Trump's policies are making the trade deficit worse, and this was predicted even before he took office......

Tax Cut To Widen Trade Gap That Riles Trump

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
No, actually that is not true, they use high tech processes in places like Nucor and that shows in certain stats like sales/employee where Nucor has over a million dollars per employee. That's actually an insane stat, look it up, only a handful of companies beat that, like Apple....maybe....

Why are you willing to pay taxes so that foreign governments can subsidize your competitor?

Sorry, I've been to OH and from Youngstown to Cleveland all the way over to Toledo, Akron, just not Columbus, Columbus is ok, but honestly OH is in trouble.

Unfair trade practices are to blame and there's a consequence and a major consequence is that it dampens investment in manufacturing and the result is quite dramatic.
Which is why the senator and rep from Ohio (Brown and Ryan) both dems support tariffs. Its one of those sticky issues where its easy to blame Trump but there still are many democrats, particularly pro union ones in the rust belt, who favor tariffs.

Davocrat

Former Staff
Apr 2007
Deep State
The title said there was a "risk" of losing 2.2M jobs, not a certainty. Have you ever gambled? The bigger the risk, the greater the reward. No need to get all bent up over a truthful on-topic statement.

You always seem to have some sort of grudge with the liberal mods here.