Stunning: New York Times Shocked To Find Palin Has Anti-Establishment Principles

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
I used to research these stories, but don't have the time now. Nearly every one turns out to be false. My favorite was the one about Palin getting the role of the VP wrong. The writer mocked her for not understand the basics of the role, which branch of government it served, on and on and on. So I researched the constitution and the history of the role and she was exactly on. It doesn't really matter. She's not running for President anyway and she's doing just fine as a booster and entertainment figure, which is probably her best fit anyway. All those ethics accusations sounded plausible too, but they all failed.

As I tried to make clear, both sides are wrong about her. She's not an idiot. She's not Presidential material. She is a maverick.
I agree with you, there's so much stuff about Sarah that is tainted at best. The $ 50,000 redecorating her office was a direct quote from Nick Carney, who was a city councilman in Wasilla and an ally (in the beginning anyway) from what I've read, and the hiring of the city manager is well documented. I read one "yahoo answer" that said she paid for the redecorating with her own money (this person wondered where she got the money) but couldn't find any other articles disputing that directly.

I thought this was fairly objective about her:

Alaska Pride: Former Wasilla Chamber Of Commerce President Nick Carney, Now A Utah Resident, Takes Swipe At Sarah Palin In The Salt Lake Tribune

Aug 2011
She also left the city with massive debt.
Apparently not enough debt that would thwart her being elected governor. Wasilla is now a better place to live due to her being mayor. Wasilla became a major commercial center under Mayor Palin. Established small businesses grew, and major national chains opened their doors in Wasilla.

jackalope

Former Staff
Jan 2010
Maine
Apparently not enough debt that would thwart her being elected governor. Wasilla is now a better place to live due to her being mayor. Wasilla became a major commercial center under Mayor Palin. Established small businesses grew, and major national chains opened their doors in Wasilla.

No, not enough debt to preclude being elected as a Republican. No level of debt has ever precluded Republicans in Republican jurisdictions from being nominated, and elected. Why would it? That is the Republican way. "Deficits don't matter."

.... unless there is a Democrat in office.

Reactions: EnigmaO01

Jets

Feb 2011
New York
No, not enough debt to preclude being elected as a Republican. No level of debt has ever precluded Republicans in Republican jurisdictions from being nominated, and elected. Why would it? That is the Republican way. "Deficits don't matter."

.... unless there is a Democrat in office.
Any elected representative who states that deficits do not matter should not stay in office. Obviously, mathematics was not their strong suit.

kmiller1610

Former Staff
Mar 2007
What's wrong with having a tough maverick as president?
She has a history of sudden reversals and impulsive decisions that concern me. It's two sides of the same coin. She is tough and tends to deal with things based on her own lights. She is less collaborative and less of a consensus builder than what you need at the top. She would be great on the black and white stuff. She would tend to not see the greys. I don't think those qualities translate well into foreign policy matters. It would be great on the budgetary things. We really need a hard headed financial person in the white house.

Jan 2011
east coast
What a positive, uplifting article on the power of Palin. It was a great speech..and this author pointed out the finer points of the plan. The NY Times picks up on this theme, recognizing that in vilifying Palin liberals have closed their minds to Palin’s ideas, which are liberal in the traditional sense. NYT is shocked by Palin's anti-establishment principles because they did not look into what she did in Alaska blowing the whistle on corruption in the GOP as a member of the state oil commission and as a candidate for Governor. She rode that reputation to the governor’s office, where she fought the oil companies to protect Alaska’s interests in its natural resources. That along with a excellent fiscal record tackling billion dollar budgets and slashing earmarks garnished her a 90% approval rating while as Governor. I find her anti-establishment principles as her most endearing qualities which is a quality that the other GOP candidates as well as Obama lack. Palin's two speeches last weekend has received nationwide attention and are making voters and the media stop and do a double take on what she actually said about crony capitalism as well as both the republican and democratic establishment and are now reevaluating Palin's actual ideology. I thought she did indeed carve out an interesting niche with that speech in Iowa, and did in fact set herself apart from all the declared candidates as a true reformer. The New York Times along with the media and the republican and democratic establishment need a good housecleaning.

Original NYT article. A must read:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/10/us/10iht-currents10.html?_r=2&adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1315569719-RpR5AuX40tZqZl8xOiUg7g
Yeah, but then when things got tough for her she bailed. Going gets tough, bail!!!!!!!!!! I thought the adage was"when the going gets tough, the tough get going". Palin quit because of all the media attention she was getting. Somewhat hypocritical, don't ya think? She now loves media attention more than anything in the whole wide world.

kmiller1610

Former Staff
Mar 2007
Yeah, but then when things got tough for her she bailed. Going gets tough, bail!!!!!!!!!! I thought the adage was"when the going gets tough, the tough get going". Palin quit because of all the media attention she was getting. Somewhat hypocritical, don't ya think? She now loves media attention more than anything in the whole wide world.
She bailed because she saw what it was costing the state (law suits), believed in her lieutenant and felt she was not doing the state any good to stay. She is an extreme hard ass. If you really want to understand what gets her fired up, read about her high school basketball career. They did not dub her barracuda for nothing. Not that such a quality would make her a good president. But again, she cares about the way she sees things. She could care less if people call her Balin Palin.

This is all interpretation, of course. But it's what I do.....

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
I still think Todd Palin was way more involved when she was governor than people than people like to think.

Especially with the pipeline thing.

Todd Palin's hourly wage job with BP creates a novel ethical twist in Alaska politics.

Conflicts of interest, outside employment and ethics reform are the subject of much debate in Juneau. Sarah Palin owed much of her electoral success last year to her image as an ethics reformer.

Few companies have as big a stake in state government as BP. The company is Alaska's No. 2 oil producer, runs most of the North Slope fields and owns half of the trans-Alaska oil pipeline. BP and the state are in constant contact over regulation, taxation and environmental oversight -- not to mention possible negotiations over a new gas pipeline.
Alaska's 'First Dude' takes leave from BP job: Gov. Sarah Palin family | Alaska news at adn.com