Stunning Tennis Match

Jun 2018
Florida
I just saw one of the most incredible tennis matches I've ever seen. In this Australian Open quarterfinal match, between American Serena Williams and Czech player Karolina Pliskova, a few things could be said about it. The must stunning thing about it was, that Williams was about to win the match, up 5 games to 1, with set point, and then lost the match.

That is pretty astounding. Pliskova, down 5 games to 1 in the 3rd and final set, and fighting off a series of match points, went on to win the match 2 sets to 1 (6-4, 4-6, 7-5). In the last set, Serena appears to have injured her left ankle, and it seemed to hamper her play somewhat, but she was still able to move around the court and hit shots. Another of the notable aspects of the match was how few unforced errors Pliskova had, compared to Serena, who had quite a few all through the match.

Pliskova now advances to the womens' semifinal match against Naomi Osaka of Japan. Osaka, who ordinarily has a height advantage (she's 5'11") over most women tennis players, won't have that advantage tomorrow in the match against Pliskova who's 6'2".

Last edited:
Jun 2018
Florida
Maybe they could have a doubles match between the Williams sisters and the Pliskova sisters (identical twins). That might be interesting.

1548220820643.png 1548220746130.png

Last edited:
Jan 2016
Colorado
To me, tennis is as exciting as bowling, which is as exciting as golf, which is as exciting as tiddlywinks...….Sorry.

Jun 2018
Florida
To me, tennis is as exciting as bowling, which is as exciting as golf, which is as exciting as tiddlywinks...….Sorry.
That seems weird to me. I find tennis VERY exciting. And see a comeback of down 5 games to 1 and at match point, turned around to actually win the match, and against Serena Williams no less, is phenomenal. The announcers were speechless.