Supreme Court sides with immigrant felons

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
The U.S. Supreme Court ruled on Tuesday that an immigration statute requiring the deportation of noncitizens who commit felonies is unlawfully vague in a decision that could limit the Trump administration’s ability to step up the removal of immigrants with criminal records.

The court, in a 5-4 ruling in which President Donald Trump’s conservative appointee Neil Gorsuch joined the court’s four liberal justices, sided with convicted California burglar James Garcia Dimaya, a legal immigrant from the Philippines.

The court upheld a 2015 lower court ruling that the Immigration and Nationality Act provision requiring Dimaya’s deportation created uncertainty over which crimes may be considered violent, risking arbitrary enforcement in violation of the U.S. Constitution.
There's going to be some serious pissed off going on over at Fox News.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...eportations-of-immigrant-felons-idUSKBN1HO230

May 2014
Missouri
That's amazing. You can be a criminal (Felony) illegal alien and not be immediately deported?
It has to do with the statutory language. The Court is concluding that the way it is written is too vague. Not that (on principle) a felony can't be the basis for deportation.

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
That's amazing. You can be a criminal (Felony) illegal alien and not be immediately deported?
I guess. :smiley-shrug:

Sounds to me like they want the legislature to clarify the term "violent" as it regards to this.

Which is fine, and in this case the guy was a burglar, so I agree with that not being a violent crime. Beyond that, I don't agree with anyone who isn't a US citizen being allowed to stay if they're convicted of any felony.

But I don't want burglary to be re-classified as a violent crime just to make it easier to deport people. Equal justice under the law would make everyone subjected to higher penalties in that case (I would think) and I don't believe a rapist should get the same sentence as someone who broke into an empty house and stole something.