Supreme Court unlikely to help Trump keep his taxes from prosecutors

Dec 2015
In Your Heart!
ANALYSIS: The president's lawyers are appealing a ruling from the 2nd Circuit court of appeals that the documents must be turned over.
By Pete Williams

"WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump will face strong headwinds in asking the Supreme Court to stop prosecutors in New York from getting his tax returns."
"Past Supreme Court rulings have upheld subpoenas directed at presidents, and this time the local prosecutors are seeking documents from the Trump Organization and Trump's accountants — not directly from the president himself."
"For those reasons, among others, the Supreme Court might simply decline to hear the president's appeal, which would leave the appeals court ruling intact and require the tax returns to be turned over."

###############################################################################
U.S. Supreme Court precedents are important and this appeal may face one of its toughest challenges yet for Trump, et al.

May 2019
midwest
ANALYSIS: The president's lawyers are appealing a ruling from the 2nd Circuit court of appeals that the documents must be turned over.
By Pete Williams

###############################################################################
U.S. Supreme Court precedents are important and this appeal may face one of its toughest challenges yet for Trump, et al.
State of New York falls under the purview of RBG when it comes to advancing appeals.
:cool:

BDBoop

Former Staff
Dec 2010
Twitter
Yeah, I don't buy that. Nice thought. I'll believe it when I see it.

the watchman

Former Staff
Jul 2011
becoming more and more
that's if they even take it up. I've heard a couple of lawyers say they doubt if they will.

Reactions: Friday13

Singularity

Oct 2009
Kansas
Yeah, I don't buy that. Nice thought. I'll believe it when I see it.
Yeah. Only four justices have to vote in order for case to be guaranteed a full hearing. Roberts can't stop it if the others decide to be complete hacks.

May 2012
By the wall
Doesn't matter, you guys will never see them nor will any reporters.

You'll just have to keep guessing at how much the Trump is worth.

Reactions: Izzshemovin
May 2012
By the wall
Meaning if they follow the Law?
Either side could call for a trial depending on how the votes are lined up.

The Court already decides their cases before they actually preside over the trial you know.

Besides, Roberts loves cases that set precedent so I see them taking this one.

Singularity

Oct 2009
Kansas
Meaning if they follow the Law?
There is no question what the law is here. It has been a straight line of legal derp for Trump. He has not won a single case on this mater, not even close.

The Court exists to resolve important constitutional questions on previously untested matters, and to resolve differences between different courts of appeal.

We already know that presidents must answer criminal inquiry subpoenas, and there is no difference to resolve. All have ruled Trump must turn this stuff over.

Last edited:

CtC

Mar 2019
California
There is no question what the law is here. It has been a straight line of legal derp for Trump. He has not won a single case on this mater, not even close.

The Court exists to resolve important constitutional questions on previously untested matters, and to resolve differences between different courts of appeal.

We already know that presidents must answer criminal inquiry subpoenas, and there is no difference to resolve. All have ruled Trump must turn this stuff over.
For what purpose? Because the DA in NYC hates him? SHE should be prosecuted.

Reactions: Izzshemovin