Survey Finds Too Many People Believe Snopes Is A Legitimate Fact-Checking Website

May 2019
Arizona
My best friend was an Engineering officer on a Navy Supply ship, they made two trips to Vietnam's Cam Ranh Bay harbor to unload supplies, was there a couple of days each time. Does that make him a Vietnam Veteran? Had another friend that was an engineering officer on a nuke submarine, sailed off the coast of China and Vietnam, but never made port, Vietnam vet?
Yes. both are considered Vietnam Vets even if they never touched land or were on a submarine ( most likely protecting an Aircraft Carrier)

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
And yet The Bee has more journalistic integrity than all of the MSM combined.

(The truth hurts)
Leftist have a very difficult time with people excerising their 1st Amendment Right when it comes to truth.

It's the people they have the problem with ....

Make no mistake about it.

Jul 2013
Nashville, TN
Yes. both are considered Vietnam Vets even if they never touched land or were on a submarine ( most likely protecting an Aircraft Carrier)
And I spent 18 months at Fort Carson Colorado protecting NORAD from Vietnamese paratroopers, Vietnam Vet? I get the same VA Benefits as those guys that spent a year in country, like hundreds of my fellow guardsmen that got called up with me did.

Aug 2018
Vancouver
OK here's one. Marches by Rival Groups Lead to Clashes; 3 People Arrested
Snopes can't be bothered to do a google search to verify the man's employment and they treat an attack caught on video as if it were he said she said.

Or another. Does an Image Show Ocasio-Cortez Fake-Crying at a Migrant Camp?
Alexandra Ocasio-Cortex was caught putting on a big emotional display at the sight of a... parking lot. She clearly only chose to show pictures that cut off what was in her line of sight and even in the pictures she displayed, the people in the background are pretty nonplussed while she simulates an emotional breakdown. And what was Snopes' big reveal to justify their "false" rating? There was a building there too.

Or this one. Did Nathan Phillips Falsely Claim He Was a Vietnam Veteran?
Despite Phillips falsely claiming on video to be a Vietnam veteran, Snopes still tries to vindicate him. The mental gymnastics are amazing to watch. Whenever Phillips said he was a Vietnam vet, Snopes says the writer misinterpreted him. When someone writes that Phillips was a Vietnam vet, Snopes says that Phillips was using vague language and was misunderstood. All that just so they can avoid having to label an objective fact: Phillips is not a Vietnam veteran.
This vendetta that Snopes has with the Babylon Bee is bizarre. Babylon Bee openly calls itself satire. "Your Trusted Source for Christian News Satire". Snopes acts like they're actively trying to deceive people. The Onion calls itself "America's Finest News Source". Everyone knows that's a goof. But you don't see Snopes treating them like they're some kind of Russian troll farm trying to plant fake news stories in the media. Snopes fact checks of Babylon Bee are full of editorializing and accusatory statements. "fanning the flames of controversy", "muddying the details of a news story", "attempt to maximize the online indignation", "has managed to fool readers". This is the language a so-called objective fact checker uses? They've updated the piece since then but only because they were called out for it.
This article on the congresswoman is about whether or not she cried in front of an empty parking lot. It says she did not, she cried at the last point that visits were allowed to go to. She could not have gone any further. They quote the photographer saying the picture was not staged and that he did not know who she was.

The only, the ONLY, person who EVER claimed this was staged was Alex Jones.

This is an accurate debunking of the idea she cried in front of an empty parking lot in s aged photo.

Did she fake crying? Who knows. That's not the question they looked into, and no one could ever know that.

-

You mention that the other article was changed when their interpretation was questioned, and is now accurate.

That's exactly what I expect from a serious source with integrity. They got it wrong, they fixed it. Now it's right.

So far they're 2 for 2.

Jul 2016
Florida
Study: Too Many People Think Satirical News Is Real

Do you know it when you see it?
Our study on misinformation and social media lasted six months. Every two weeks, we identified 10 of the most shared fake political stories on social media, which included satirical stories. Others were fake news reports meant to deliberately mislead readers.

We then asked a representative group of over 800 Americans to tell us if they believed claims based on those trending stories. By the end of the study, we had measured respondents’ beliefs about 120 widely shared falsehoods.

Satirical articles like those found on The Babylon Bee frequently showed up in our survey. In fact, stories published by The Bee were among the most shared factually inaccurate content in almost every survey we conducted. On one survey, The Babylon Bee had articles relating to five different falsehoods.

For each claim, we asked people to tell us whether it was true or false and how confident they were in their belief. Then we computed the proportion of Democrats and of Republicans who described these statements as “definitely true.”

If we zero in on The Babylon Bee, a few patterns stand out.

May 2019
Arizona
And I spent 18 months at Fort Carson Colorado protecting NORAD from Vietnamese paratroopers, Vietnam Vet? I get the same VA Benefits as those guys that spent a year in country, like hundreds of my fellow guardsmen that got called up with me did.
I concede. I did three 6 month tours, (Brown Water Navy) and always thought someone in your situation was designated as a Vietnam Era Veteran. Being at NORAD, actually seeing and directing the troops on a computer screen sure sounds like a Vietnam Vet to me. Thank you for your service OldGaffer. Welcome Home brother.

Blues63

Dec 2014
Tatooine
From the Babylon Bee:

U.S.—A troubling new survey released by The Babylon Bee confirmed Wednesday that too many people think Snopes is a real fact-checking website.

The survey found that over 60% of people believe Snopes is a real website, while only 25% understand that it's satire. The remaining minority thinks that Snopes is the name of a gangsta rapper from California, "one of those guys who makes the hip-hop about the devil's lettuce and shooting people."

In the study, we went to a Walmart and grabbed random people by the arm and started shouting at them: "HEY, DO YOU THINK SNOPES IS REAL!?" The ones who didn't run away screaming or call for security responded, and of those few dozen people, we got our results. Most said, "Sure, yeah, whatever, please just leave me alone and don't hurt me!" while others said they thought it was satire site. A few people said, "Snopes Dogg? I loved his album, Straight Outta Compton."

Concerning Survey Finds Too Many People Believe Snopes Is A Legitimate Fact-Checking Website

The Babylon Bee is pure satire.

The Babylon Bee’s Satire is Confusing Christians Who Think the Stories Are Real

Here is another that catches people:

Bible Camp Youths to Build Cages for Mexican Children

People actually try to join this 'church'. :D

Last edited: