Swedish police chief: No international equivalent to Sweden's wave of bombings

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto

Sweden's police chief Anders Thornberg, right, with the head of the national criminal intelligence unit, Linda Staaf. Photo: Stina Stjernkvist/TT

Sweden's sees 'no equivalent internationally' to its wave of bombings this year, national police chief Anders Thornberg said as he addressed public concern about the increasing use of explosives by criminal gangs.

Regularly placed near the top of the UN's Human Development Index and among the world's richest countries in terms of GDP per capita, the Scandinavian country is facing an unusual challenge as bombings become a regular occurrence.

"We see no equivalent internationally," Swedish police commissioner Thornberg said on Wednesday, addressing public concern about the escalating violence.

"I understand that many people are worried about what is happening, there's a sense that the criminals' vendettas are creeping closer to the general public," he said.

In the past week alone, a bomb exploded in a stairwell in a Malmö apartment building, an explosive device was found outside a shopping centre in the southern town of Kristianstad, and a blast rocked the balcony at a block of apartments in Hässleholm in southern Sweden.

While few of the blasts have caused serious injuries, the national bomb squad has been called out to investigate around 100 explosions in the first 10 months of the year.

That's more than double the number for the same period last year. In addition, more than 70 undetonated devices have been investigated.

"You have to conclude that this has become a trend, one that is escalating," Linda Staaf, head of the national police's criminal intelligence unit, told AFP.

Apartment buildings, small businesses and police stations have been targeted.

The bombs have varied in size, with some the equivalent of large fireworks while others have been larger: in June a blast ripped apart the facade of two apartment buildings in the town of Linköping.
Much more: Swedish police chief: No international equivalent to Sweden's wave of bombings

Interesting...

I suppose the gangs resort to home made explosives, because guns are harder to obtain over there...

Basic firebombs and such are not even that difficult to make, really; I know in Russia even bloody teenage gangbangers blow up each others' cars and such on occasion haha

Oct 2013
Sweden

Sweden's police chief Anders Thornberg, right, with the head of the national criminal intelligence unit, Linda Staaf. Photo: Stina Stjernkvist/TT

Much more: Swedish police chief: No international equivalent to Sweden's wave of bombings

Interesting...

I suppose the gangs resort to home made explosives, because guns are harder to obtain over there...

Basic firebombs and such are not even that difficult to make, really; I know in Russia even bloody teenage gangbangers blow up each others' cars and such on occasion haha
Yea its usually organized criminal gangs and to be honest, most of them are eastern european based or Russian. The Russians are the most brutal though....about 10 years ago I think, they found people murdered by some russian mafia type group, their eyes had been drilled out...lots of horrific torture stuff and left that way...I am sure to send a message to anyone else who thought to cross them.

Of course there is collateral damage to these gangs fighting each other or amongst themselves.

Whats interesting is that I never hear about what sort of criminal activity these gangs are conducting in Sweden....is it human trafficking...is it drug trafficking...is it to sell stolen goods? I would like to see what the impact of all that also has and its a bit shameful thats not more part of the story and discussion in Sweden.

Sep 2016
My own world

Interesting...

MOLOTOV cocktail?

Reactions: The Man

Rev. Hellh0und

Former Staff
Jul 2011
315 bowery/DMS
Yea its usually organized criminal gangs and to be honest, most of them are eastern european based or Russian. The Russians are the most brutal though....about 10 years ago I think, they found people murdered by some russian mafia type group, their eyes had been drilled out...lots of horrific torture stuff and left that way...I am sure to send a message to anyone else who thought to cross them.

Of course there is collateral damage to these gangs fighting each other or amongst themselves.

Whats interesting is that I never hear about what sort of criminal activity these gangs are conducting in Sweden....is it human trafficking...is it drug trafficking...is it to sell stolen goods? I would like to see what the impact of all that also has and its a bit shameful thats not more part of the story and discussion in Sweden.

why leave one important descriptor out?

• Haha
May 2012
By the wall
Just more evidence that banning guns does not solve the violence problem.

Maybe the democrats will pay attention.....naw, who are we kidding.

Dec 2015
SoCal
Just more evidence that banning guns does not solve the violence problem.
Guns aren't banned in Sweden:

Maybe the democrats will pay attention.....naw, who are we kidding.
Anyway, I am curious about any ideas you might have for solving the violence problem.