Syria: Assad has decisively won his brutal battle

Jul 2011
Tennessee
The situations are hardly comparable. The final US exit didn't resemble the negotiated one.

The question is does the US have an interest in the outcome in Syria or not? If it does, then according to Trump, it's not dependent on a small force of 2000 being in Syria. As criticism grew, Trump implied it could be accomplished thru US forces in Iraq. While Trump had spoken of withdrawal 6 months ago, his order was not the result of consultation with anyone, at least made public or even claimed by the WH or allies. An official act that is in Russia's interest but not the US interest, at least according to Mattis and retired officers that spoke out against Trump's declaration of victory over ISIS.
Just what is the US interest in Syria?

Reactions: Sassy and The Man
Aug 2018
Vancouver
Not sure why people are surprised that Trump is pulling out, he's only been talking about that for many months.
Because he didn’t negotiate an exit, asking for assurances that the Kurds and and Syrians who have been living, fighting, training, and working together with US forces for a decade won’t be slaughtered by Assad.

They’re all going to die. Their siblings are going to die. Their children are going to die. Their grandparents are going to die.

It’s going to be a slaughter.

That’s why normally the professionals would sit down and say “we want to leave, you want us to leave, but we want protection for our close allies”.

But the professionals learned about it on Twitter.

The French special forces were actually out in the field with Kurds when they saw it on Twitter. Those Kurds that are now going to be butchered by Turkey. That was a very stressful situation, I imagine.

There’s a very good chance that OUR special forces were working with Kurds somewhere when they saw it on Twitter.

Dec 2015
SoCal
I wouldn’t know but I’m guessing the career generals viewpoint would be “if we ever do have an interest in the Middle East, we won’t have any presence there”

I do know Trumps view. Trumps view is “Saudi Arabia told me that if The US leaves Syria the Saudis and their proxies will take it from Iran.”
When Trump and the Saudis make promises to each other, they are worthless.

Reactions: The Man
Dec 2015
SoCal
Because he didn’t negotiate an exit, asking for assurances that the Kurds and and Syrians who have been living, fighting, training, and working together with US forces for a decade won’t be slaughtered by Assad.
I think the Kurds in Syria and Assad have a working agreement. They have cooperated as you said, so at this time the Kurds in Syria have less to worry about from Assad than from the Turks in my opinion, though that doesn't mean Assad might not later turn on the Syrian Kurds and join the Turks in suppressing the Kurds.

They’re all going to die. Their siblings are going to die. Their children are going to die. Their grandparents are going to die.

It’s going to be a slaughter.

That’s why normally the professionals would sit down and say “we want to leave, you want us to leave, but we want protection for our close allies”.

But the professionals learned about it on Twitter.

The French special forces were actually out in the field with Kurds when they saw it on Twitter. Those Kurds that are now going to be butchered by Turkey. That was a very stressful situation, I imagine.

There’s a very good chance that OUR special forces were working with Kurds somewhere when they saw it on Twitter.

Reactions: The Man and ARMCX1
Aug 2018
Vancouver
Oh here we go. He’s now apparently spoken to the professionals.

Trump slowing down U.S. troop pullout from Syria, key Republican senator says | CBC News

What a world where thousands of lives depend on the sensible professionalism of Lyndsey Graham.

This reminds me of the recent quote by General Kelly. “Judge me by what he DIDNT do while I was in office” I usually have no pity or respect for those who work with him. But -I guess it’s true. Some people must stay on for the greater good.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
The defeat of ISIS and democratic reforms in Syria, at least that was the idea under Obama. Trump's motives aren't clear because Trump's loyalties aren't clear.
US still hasn't learn you cannot bring democracy to other countries by force? Really? Come on...

ARMCX1

Former Staff
Jun 2013
SoCal
US still hasn't learn you cannot bring democracy to other countries by force? Really? Come on...
I suppose the proof is that twice the US military caused POTUS to blink on a withdrawal. First time it was just a suggestion by Trump but the second was an order that won't be carried out. Why? Questions about motive. Questions about loyalty. Questions about outcome. Growing questions in the officer corp, both active and retired. General Bonespurs doesn't cut it.