Syria: Assad has decisively won his brutal battle

Jul 2011
Tennessee
I don’t understand how that’s relevent to anything I said. Obama did.

I said the US can stay in Syria or leave Syria as they wish (fact), but I personally am glad (opinion) that Trump has had it quickly explained to him that telling Turkey he’d pull out without negotiating any sort of security for the Kurds was basically signing their death warrants.

As well as those of the anti-Assad fighters all of our countries have been training and arming and fighting alongside.

Why is it important who sent them there?
The relevance.

You said, "He didn't realize the slaughter he'd ok'd."

You are blaming Trump for the consequences of Obama's policies in Syria.

Aug 2018
Vancouver
Sounds like it... 1 event was 2300 Humvees.

One base allowed to be taken had an entire inventory of equipment, guns and ammo (several tanks, a helicopter and a fighter jet... lucky they had no pilots)

It's a curse having a memory sometimes.
Ooooh. Like that.

Yeah. That was widely reported as an unintended consequence because it was an unintended consequence.

Some arguments to be made for neglect, or incompetence, or carelessness - but that’s a far cry from deliberately arming them. Or specifically being the US Presidents doing.

Aug 2018
Vancouver
The relevance.

You said, "He didn't realize the slaughter he'd ok'd."

You are blaming Trump for the consequences of Obama's policies in Syria.
No I wasn’t. Not in any way. I was blaming Trump for Trumps decision that Trump made this week in a phone call Trump had with the Turkish leader. It happened. This week.

My very next post was news that Trump (after being advised by sensible people) reversing that decision.

The slaughter was the one that was going to come at the Kurds and Western Allied Syrians. That has now been averted by Lyndsey Graham and some others with access to The President. They’ve talked to him.

So I don’t know. Call me a Graham Republican.

Only not gay.

Reactions: The Man
Oct 2014
C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
Ooooh. Like that.

Yeah. That was widely reported as an unintended consequence because it was an unintended consequence.

Some arguments to be made for neglect, or incompetence, or carelessness - but that’s a far cry from deliberately arming them. Or specifically being the US Presidents doing.
No... it was 100% preventable. The generals told Obama how to handle it, Obama chose to do nothing and to allow ISIS to take US equipment.

That fits the constitutional definition for treason.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
No... it was 100% preventable. The generals told Obama how to handle it, Obama chose to do nothing and to allow ISIS to take US equipment.

That fits the constitutional definition for treason.
It wasn't Obama's fault Iraqi army were either fucking cowards (who ran away from ISIS with civilian refugees, leaving all their weapons behind) or Sunni fanatics, who put their damn religion ahead of loyalty to their country and deserted/defected/joined ISIS themselves...

Oct 2014
C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
It wasn't Obama's fault Iraqi army were either fucking cowards (who ran away from ISIS with civilian refugees, leaving all their weapons behind) or Sunni fanatics, who put their damn religion ahead of loyalty to their country and deserted/defected/joined ISIS themselves...
That is also true... So, you got a force backed up by us military, then when Isis comes in lined up with Obama pulling the troops.

They call it the highway of death because the entire route can be hit with air strikes... But instead hitting them, allowed the travel through resisted by forces that had already been decimated.

The outcome was predictable to the degree that intent is the only viable explanation.

Aug 2018
Vancouver
I feel like it was clear the Obama admin didn’t want a full combat role for the US in Syria. He wanted to pull out of the middle east and end wars. Not start new ones. Same as Trump now.

No one would argue that Obama achieved something he wanted to there.

I really am glad that it now seems there will be a negotiated withdrawal. Not an abandonment.

Last edited:
Aug 2018
Vancouver
That is also true... So, you got a force backed up by us military, then when Isis comes in lined up with Obama pulling the troops.

They call it the highway of death because the entire route can be hit with air strikes... But instead hitting them, allowed the travel through resisted by forces that had already been decimated.

The outcome was predictable to the degree that intent is the only viable explanation.
No it’s not even close to the only viable explanation. It’s the least plausible of various possible explanations.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
I feel like it was clear the Obama admin didn’t want a full combat role for the US in Syria. He wanted to pull out of the middle east and end wars. Not start new ones. Same as Trump now.

No one would argue that Obama achieved something he wanted to there.

I really am glad that it now seems there will be a negotiated withdrawal. Not an abandonment.
Obama may have wanted to actually regime change Syria and take down Assad, until 2015, when Putin sent in regular Russian forces in there to, in turn, help Assad. And the Obama back off. Because Assad ain't worth a potential direct confrontation between two nuclear powers ;)

Oct 2014
C-A-N-A-D-A-Eh
No it’s not even close to the only viable explanation. It’s the least plausible of various possible explanations.
Ok, given those facts, give a singular viable alternative? Bet you come up with some non sequitur that doesn't consider the facts.