T-minus 50 Hours - A Nation Gets Stanky

Aug 2018
Vancouver
Recreational marijuana is going to be fully legal nation-wide, coast to coast to coast, this Wednesday.

I think it’s going to be a shit show for anyone whose workday imvolves any kind of authority over others. Teachers, managers, cops, shift supervisors, formen etc. But the world will keep turning and reason will (sort of) (generally) prevail.

So ..... as a middle aged Dad, churchgoer, soccer coach, public servant ... what do you all think?

Should I go to the corner store on Wednesday after work, get some weed and get cranked?

Ring in the new era? Let freedom puff?

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
Sounds like people will be pretty relaxed starting Wednesday night, or perhaps after lunch Wednesday. :)

Aug 2018
Vancouver
I find it hard to believe there was even a single person who wanted to smoke and wasn’t because it required a prescription.

I envision a gain of zero users on Wednesday.

But it’ll be interesting to see how sales go. This was a massive industry waiting to happen.

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
I find it hard to believe there was even a single person who wanted to smoke and wasn’t because it required a prescription.

I envision a gain of zero users on Wednesday.

But it’ll be interesting to see how sales go. This was a massive industry waiting to happen.
Get ready. Everything you know is about to change.

All those rebels, ne'er-do-wells, ruffians, and scalawags who've been lighting up with one hand while flying the bird in the direction of the man with the other are about to become members of the above board, straight and narrow, legal as can be, establishment.

Be patient with them. The smoke won't smell as sweet without the need for paranoid glances over their shoulders to make sure that no one is on to them.

Jun 2014
United States
Recreational marijuana is going to be fully legal nation-wide, coast to coast to coast, this Wednesday.

I think it’s going to be a shit show for anyone whose workday imvolves any kind of authority over others. Teachers, managers, cops, shift supervisors, formen etc. But the world will keep turning and reason will (sort of) (generally) prevail.

So ..... as a middle aged Dad, churchgoer, soccer coach, public servant ... what do you all think?

Should I go to the corner store on Wednesday after work, get some weed and get cranked?

It will probably be less expensive to simply continue buying from black market sources.

Nov 2010

I lived in Colorado when legal, it was so awesome. The variety of people in the store was crazy, from elderly couples, young people, professionals in suits, even a mother and son.

Nov 2010
It will probably be less expensive to simply continue buying from black market sources.
Not really, although depending on the price. In Colorado when it first started it was equal to street prices, now its so much cheaper, you can get ounces for $100-$150, street for that high quality of post used to be $300-400. There are so many stores and growers that the prices is cheap. And plenty of tax revenue going to the states.

Every state, particularly cash strapped, should do this

Sep 2017
Massachusetts
Not really, although depending on the price. In Colorado when it first started it was equal to street prices, now its so much cheaper, you can get ounces for $100-$150, street for that high quality of post used to be $300-400. There are so many stores and growers that the prices is cheap. And plenty of tax revenue going to the states.

The problem is it becomes less financially effective with each additional state, since Colorado benefited from a bit of "marijuana tourism" -- not so much people traveling there just for the weed, but people who traveled there for other reasons making a point of buying weed just for the novelty of buying legally. If you're the 50th or even 20th state with recreational marijuana, you won't get that effect.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007
The problem is it becomes less financially effective with each additional state, since Colorado benefited from a bit of "marijuana tourism" -- not so much people traveling there just for the weed, but people who traveled there for other reasons making a point of buying weed just for the novelty of buying legally. If you're the 50th or even 20th state with recreational marijuana, you won't get that effect.
In that sense, it's negligible. Any increase in tax revenue is going to be a ++

Jun 2014
United States

I'm sure that the market varies from state to state, but there's no way that a licensed business with all of their overhead could match the prices offered by black market distribution. Taxes alone would make a significant difference in the cost of legal marijuana. Meanwhile, the black market distribution system is well established, with decades of experience providing product at competitive prices. That's not going to simply dry up and disappear overnight.