Tackle white supremacy as terrorism, experts say

Jul 2011
NYC/Москва
@caffeine

Why this one? wouldn't it be islamic "terrorism" then by this loose definition?

Palm Beach Gardens, Florida, March 12, 2018. Corey Johnson, 17, killed a 13-year-old and severely injured two others in a stabbing spree during a sleepover. One victim was stabbed 32 times but survived. Johnson was charged as an adult with first-degree murder and attempted first-degree murder. He had a long history of violent tendencies and extremist beliefs, including an interest in white supremacy. However, in the year before the attack he had become interested in radical Islam (and had even been reported to the FBI by local law enforcement). After his arrest, Johnson reportedly told investigators he had stabbed his victims “because of his Muslim faith.”26

Dec 2018
Florida
If a particular group is acting like a terrorist organization? Ok. But be specific about how you define this. Because we could EASILY define actions committed by drug cartels, gangs, and organized crime as “terrorism.” That should be of some concern due to how we have handled terrorists in the past.

Jul 2011
NYC/Москва
If a particular group is acting like a terrorist organization? Ok. But be specific about how you define this. Because we could EASILY define actions committed by drug cartels, gangs, and organized crime as “terrorism.” That should be of some concern due to how we have handled terrorists in the past.

That's what's happened here, the ADL is counting crimes that have nothing to do with extremism as hate crimes and hate attacks simply because the perpetrator happens to be a scumbag white supremacist.... Now this article is arguing these crimes that have nothing to do with extremism should be counted as terrorism.

That last one I am going to hang on to, if they are going to call these things white nationalist terrorism, therefore the palm beach gardens incident should be called islamic terrorism.

Funny thing though, I scoured the adl site, that "hate crime" is not listed as islamic hate crime only white nationalist, even though the guy admits he did it in the name of islam.

It's an ACTUAL islamic terrorist attack, by a guy REPORTED to the FBI for his terrorist tendencies, yet they count it as a white nationalist hate crime?

Dec 2018
Florida
Nov 2007
Prague, Czech Republic
Ahh I see now, no my bad. I did read, I thought you were talking about that heat map. lol... this was cherry picked from that map...

LEt me ask you why is this a bias/hate murder.
Looking through their methodology, they seem to be just counting murders committed by people with links to extremism, without distinguishing whether the murder was committed 'for the cause ', as it were, or just for financial gain as in this case. In which case I'd agree there's a lot of confusion about what they're supposed to be reporting on.

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
Oh your over emotional hysterics.... calm down, keep your personal attacks to yourself

Holy fuck don't you people think for yourselves? your link uses the SAME ADL heat map which 1. does exactly what I say in my op, counts non hate crimes committed by people as hate crimes. That's dishonest.

"The scientists used the Anti-Defamation League's map "

It's sad how willingly duped you people are.
You latched onto a piece you read that attempted to prove that many of the crimes reported aren't actually hate crimes. You and the author of the piece are determined that we all believe it's just dirty liberals picking on the poor, oppressed white man. Well, bullshit. We know hate crime has been rising and that most of it is done by white males and we know that membership in white supremacist groups has been rising because whites - especially white males - are frightened of losing their cultural dominance. I'm sure many are afraid they might be treated as they've treated others all these years.

Jul 2011
NYC/Москва
Looking through their methodology, they seem to be just counting murders committed by people with links to extremism, without distinguishing whether the murder was committed 'for the cause ', as it were, or just for financial gain as in this case. In which case I'd agree there's a lot of confusion about what they're supposed to be reporting on.

That's the problem, We don't count crimes committed by muslims as "islamic extremism".... and we shouldn't, same goes here.

Nov 2007
Prague, Czech Republic
@caffeine

Why this one? wouldn't it be islamic "terrorism" then by this loose definition?
Yes, why do you think it wasn't? They wrote right there in the report about his links to radical Islam. The summary discusses his attempt to join ISIS. That murder is the one they listed as the only murder in 2018 connected to Islamic extremism.

Jul 2011
NYC/Москва
You latched onto a piece you read that attempted to prove that many of the crimes reported aren't actually hate crimes. You and the author of the piece are determined that we all believe it's just dirty liberals picking on the poor, oppressed white man.

I've proven just that, that many, most of the crimes listed have nothing to do with hate and are just racist assholes committing random crimes that have nothing to do with ideology. if you cant see that, it's because you don't want to.

Well, bullshit. We know hate crime has been rising and that most of it is done by white males and we know that membership in white supremacist groups has been rising because whites - especially white males - are frightened of losing their cultural dominance. I'm sure many are afraid they might be treated as they've treated others all these years.

You are a silly true believer, even with facts right in your face you regurgitate the propaganda dutifully. your race baiting garbage and your self loathing for being white is your problem lady, not mine.

Your bullshit strawman is racist. Same mindset as those you claim to hate.

Jul 2011
NYC/Москва
Yes, why do you think it wasn't? They wrote right there in the report about his links to radical Islam. The summary discusses his attempt to join ISIS. That murder is the one they listed as the only murder in 2018 connected to Islamic extremism.

Here is a challenge, go to ADL's hate map, see if that one is listed under "islamic hate crime" or "white nationalist hate crime"