Taiwan will be reunified with China, one way or another

Oct 2014
British expat in USA
Chinese President Xi Jinping has urged the people of Taiwan to accept it "must and will be" reunited with China.
In a speech marking 40 years since the start of improving ties, he reiterated Beijing's call for peaceful unification on a one-country-two-systems basis.
However, he also warned that China reserved the right to use force.

Xi: Taiwan will be reunited with China

Then what? The Baltics will be "reunited" with Russia? Canada will be "reunited" with the USA? Are we really in the era of strongmen grabbing what they like?

Oct 2018
Somewhere they can't find me.
Not sure about their ability to grab sovereign nations, but I don't think there can be any doubt that we're living through a Golden Age of strongmen, autocrats and wannabe dictators.

China, in particular, is cause for concern. I recently read a NYT article that said 2018 was an awful year for China's economy and that 2019 looks like it could be worse, which may only contribute to the country taking even more aggressive tactics.

At the same time, I've been following a story about a Chinese rear admiral who recently called for the destruction of two U.S. aircraft carriers in order to achieve Chinese domination in the South China Sea (and presumably, SE Asia). I'm not going to provide any links to this latter story, however, as it smells kind of fishy to me (it's easily found in a Google search, though). It's currently only being reported by (suspect) news outlets in the UK, and has the ring of alarmist RW propaganda to it. Moreover, this admiral has a long-standing reputation of making outlandish, hawkish statements. It may be only a matter of time before it's picked up by outlets here, but I don't want to help disseminate it.

Either way, these are not promising developments at all.

Last edited:
Jul 2014
midwest
Maybe they will take a page from Putins playbook, and his actions against Crimea.

Both are huge military powers and Crimea, like Taiwan is in very close proximity.

Dec 2018
Florida
Not sure about their ability to grab sovereign nations, but I don't think there can be any doubt that we're living through a Golden Age of strongmen, autocrats and wannabe dictators.

China, in particular, is cause for concern. I recently read a NYT article that said 2018 was an awful year for China's economy and that 2019 looks like it could be worse, which may only contribute to the country taking even more aggressive tactics.

At the same time, I've been following a story about a Chinese rear admiral who recently called for the destruction of two U.S. aircraft carriers in order to achieve Chinese domination in the South China Sea (and presumably, SE Asia). I'm not going to provide any links to this latter story, however, as it smells kind of fishy to me (it's easily found in a Google search, though). It's currently only being reported by (suspect) news outlets in the UK, and has the ring of alarmist RW propaganda to it. Moreover, this admiral has a long-standing reputation of making outlandish, hawkish statements. It may be only a matter of time before it's picked up by outlets here, but I don't want to help disseminate it.

Either way, these are not promising developments at all.
China will continue to push for dominance in the South China Sea. Kind of like how Russia will always push to own Crimea. It is just too important. I doubt China would ever try to attack us. It would cause far too many problems.

Oct 2013
Upstate New York
Chinese President Xi Jinping has urged the people of Taiwan to accept it "must and will be" reunited with China.
In a speech marking 40 years since the start of improving ties, he reiterated Beijing's call for peaceful unification on a one-country-two-systems basis.
However, he also warned that China reserved the right to use force.

Xi: Taiwan will be reunited with China

Then what? The Baltics will be "reunited" with Russia? Canada will be "reunited" with the USA? Are we really in the era of strongmen grabbing what they like?
I think China's desire to have Taiwan back in the fold is very strong; the question is: is China willing to risk war with Taiwan in order to get her back as part of China? I'm sure the US isn't going to sit by idly and allow it to happen.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
I think China's desire to have Taiwan back in the fold is very strong; the question is: is China willing to risk war with Taiwan in order to get her back as part of China? I'm sure the US isn't going to sit by idly and allow it to happen.
Is Taiwan worth a potential nuclear conflict to the US, is the other question...

May 2016
california
If you see a sudden exodus of rich Chinese from Taiwan you'll know it's time to batten down the hatches because it's a safe bet China's military would love to humiliate the west in a confrontation, and unlike us they haven't learn to appreciate that small wars grow into big wars.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Chinese (blue) and Russian (green) Marines drilling a beach landing together

They have done numerous such exercises in recent years. I've long wondered if it is preparation for Russian forces to, potentially, back China's assault on Taiwan in near future...

Jul 2011
Tennessee
The only way Taiwan reunites with China is if the Taiwan people choose it. Not going to happen.

China will not militarily force it because if they did it would mean economic suicide for them.