Taiwan will be reunified with China, one way or another

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
The only way Taiwan reunites with China is if the Taiwan people choose it. Not going to happen.

China will not militarily force it because if they did it would mean economic suicide for them.
What do you mean? The West putting sanctions on them, like on Russia over Crimea?

It hasn't killed Russia yet, you know. Barely slowed Putin down, in fact. And their economy is way weaker than China's...

One advantage those regimes, in Moscow or Beijing have over us here, in the civilised world: they care much less about the well-being of their regular people. One can afford to, when one doesn't have to worry about silly things like elections and such ;)

Jul 2011
Tennessee
What do you mean? The West putting sanctions on them, like on Russia over Crimea?

It hasn't killed Russia yet, you know. Barely slowed Putin down, in fact. And their economy is way weaker than China's...

One advantage those regimes, in Moscow or Beijing have over us here, in the civilised world: they care much less about the well-being of their regular people. One can afford to, when one doesn't have to worry about silly things like elections and such ;)
The major world economy's would do something about it.

The world didn't care about Crimea.

Oct 2018
Somewhere they can't find me.
And where will all the corporations manufacture all their stuff?

Everything is "Made in China", these days...

True, but lots of stuff was and is still made in Taiwan.

I can't see seizure by China as being anything less than extremely messy.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
True, but lots of stuff was and is still made in Taiwan.

I can't see seizure by China as being anything less than extremely messy.
I guess it comes down to how willing the Taiwanese will be to defend then and fight for their independence. I am not sure...

It's not even like Russia and Ukraine there. Because those two, while closely related by blood and history (both descending from the ancient proto-Slavic Rus people) are actual separate nations today, each with own language, albeit also similar, and distinct cultural and other traits.

Meanwhile, China and Taiwan are literally the same people. It's Chinese people, on both sides. Only difference is, ones on the mainland are ruled by the Commies; while the ones on the island descend from Chiang Kai-shek and his Kuomintang nationalist movement, which also reigned in Taiwan, until they finally lost an election recently. So, they are separated only by political differences. Think Germany and Austria in 1930s...

Oct 2018
Somewhere they can't find me.
I guess it comes down to how willing the Taiwanese will be to defend then and fight for their independence. I am not sure...

It's not even like Russia and Ukraine there. Because those two, while closely related by blood and history (both descending from the ancient proto-Slavic Rus people) are actual separate nations today, each with own language, albeit also similar, and distinct cultural and other traits.

Meanwhile, China and Taiwan are literally the same people. It's Chinese people, on both sides. Only difference is, ones on the mainland are ruled by the Commies; while the ones on the island descend from Chiang Kai-shek and his Kuomintang nationalist movement, which also reigned in Taiwan, until they finally lost an election recently. So, they are separated only by political differences. Think Germany and Austria in 1930s...
Interesting history there, to be sure. Chiang Kai-shek was a POS (and played US paranoia like a well-tuned fiddle) from what I've read. Too late to turn back the clock now, but I do know people in Taiwan who are not exactly hankering to rejoin the mainland.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
Interesting history there, to be sure. Chiang Kai-shek was a POS (and played US paranoia like a well-tuned fiddle) from what I've read. Too late to turn back the clock now, but I do know people in Taiwan who are not exactly hankering to rejoin the mainland.
Even in a "One State Two Systems"-type of deal, like Hong Kong got back in '97?

Mar 2010
Indiana
I'm sure the US isn't going to sit by idly and allow it to happen.
Are you kidding? Have you noticed the guy in the oval office that is a fucking retard when it comes to global strategy? It would be O.K. if he listened to smarter people but he doesn't even do that!

I could just see him saying, "It was part of China anyway. What do we care?"

Jan 2016
Colorado
Chinese President Xi Jinping has urged the people of Taiwan to accept it "must and will be" reunited with China.
In a speech marking 40 years since the start of improving ties, he reiterated Beijing's call for peaceful unification on a one-country-two-systems basis.
However, he also warned that China reserved the right to use force.

Xi: Taiwan will be reunited with China

Then what? The Baltics will be "reunited" with Russia? Canada will be "reunited" with the USA? Are we really in the era of strongmen grabbing what they like?
Yes, and if the United States isn't willing to be annexed by Canada, we Canadians will have NO choice but to resort to FORCE!!