Talk of changing military pensions sparks debate

Aug 2010
See you in a new existence!
As noted by Marine, and current CEO Mant Hawkins, the system does have problems, but if any solutions which involved cutting overall pay or benefits will be detrimental to the good of the nation by driving away people who are willing "to write a blank check - their life - to the government."

Talk of changing military pensions sparks debate | Nation | News from Fort Worth, Dallas...
Some of the skills he uses today, as CEO of a building services company, he once used as a commander of several thousand Marines in a combat zone. But there is one stark difference that stands out between his two careers.

Thirty-five memorial services.

"I don't know anyone in the business world who has gone to the funerals of 35 people they worked with and knew personally, who looked all those men's children in the eye and knew they'd grow up without a father," said Hawkins, who leads Bell Industry, based in Dallas.

Read more: Talk of changing military pensions sparks debate | Nation | News from Fort Worth, Dallas...
I lost over 30 friends myself while in the service. Not acquaintances or just someone I knew about, but actual friends. They all died in the line of duty in the service of their country. Cutting their pay and benefits to match that of someone working in a cubicle will only see them leave for the air-conditioned comfort and "always home at night" schedule of being a civilian.

n all of the discussion, perhaps most upsetting to former military and their advocacy groups is the suggestion that benefits packages can or should be compared between civilians and career military members, who have sacrificed much over the last decade in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Repeated combat deployments, frequent and long tours overseas, relocation every three to four years, no overtime pay and essentially no career opportunities for spouses makes civilian comparisons unfair, they say, not to mention the much-greater probability of serious injury or death.

"The business world has gotten very comfortable with numbers that place value on things," said Hawkins, who is in the executive MBA program at Texas Christian University. "I would argue that it's difficult to put a value on the things I just described. You can lay out all kinds of spread sheets, market studies and time value of money reports, and it still comes down to someone in the military who is willing to write a blank check --their life -- to the government."

Read more: Talk of changing military pensions sparks debate | Nation | News from Fort Worth, Dallas...

Sep 2007
N48 51.489 E2 17.67119
As noted by Marine, and current CEO Mant Hawkins, the system does have problems, but if any solutions which involved cutting overall pay or benefits will be detrimental to the good of the nation by driving away people who are willing "to write a blank check - their life - to the government."

Talk of changing military pensions sparks debate | Nation | News from Fort Worth, Dallas...

I lost over 30 friends myself while in the service. Not acquaintances or just someone I knew about, but actual friends. They all died in the line of duty in the service of their country. Cutting their pay and benefits to match that of someone working in a cubicle will only see them leave for the air-conditioned comfort and "always home at night" schedule of being a civilian.
You really are clueless.

It won't with $9 or less per hour wages, expecially with 9% umemployment and 20% underemployment.

And go to an ER sometime at 1AM on Christmas morning and tell the staff how much more military personnel sacrifice than they do. The good news is they won't kick your (not even the veterans among them) ass because it's just more work for them.

Dec 2007
NY
You really are clueless.

It won't with $9 or less per hour wages, expecially with 9% umemployment and 20% underemployment.

And go to an ER sometime at 1AM on Christmas morning and tell the staff how much more military personnel sacrifice than they do. The good news is they won't kick your (not even the veterans among them) ass because it's just more work for them.
Uhh go to any military base at 1AM any day of the year and you'll find people working. Hell I worked on Christmas 2 years ago. Ohhh well. I took a CQ shift from my squad leader so he could spend what time off we got with his kids and wife. And that was stateside. Now go overseas where I know people who are working almost everyday. My bestfriend in the world is a 68W over there right now. And don't forget to hope that you don't get your fuckin leg blown off. And now with the way the VA is, I hope they cut your disability check in time before they kick you out of your house.
Your post is such nonsense. God I could go on and on and on. Such ignorance on your part.

And as far as your $9 claim, that's nonsense too

Last edited:
Oct 2011
The sad part is if we can't even honor our promise to our veterans then who can honestly feel safe in any retirement/benefit system both public or private?

Nov 2009
Flower Mound, TX (In the basement)
There are no comparable jobs in the civilian world to what the military does and the rules under which they do their "job". Not one.

Reactions: Divine Wind
Nov 2009
You really are clueless.

And go to an ER sometime at 1AM on Christmas morning and tell the staff how much more military personnel sacrifice than they do.
Not even close. The military is way more important and dangerous than any civilian job.....by far.

Reactions: ssbechtold3
Sep 2007
N48 51.489 E2 17.67119
Uhh go to any military base at 1AM any day of the year and you'll find people working. Hell I worked on Christmas 2 years ago. Ohhh well. I took a CQ shift from my squad leader so he could spend what time off we got with his kids and wife. And that was stateside. Now go overseas where I know people who are working almost everyday. My bestfriend in the world is a 68W over there right now. And don't forget to hope that you don't get your fuckin leg blown off. And now with the way the VA is, I hope they cut your disability check in time before they kick you out of your house.
Your post is such nonsense. God I could go on and on and on. Such ignorance on your part.

And as far as your $9 claim, that's nonsense too
You know dipshit you're talking to a veteran with a service connected disability who spent 20 years working in the ER whose little brother did 2 tours in Iraq and one in Afghanistan and who's older brother is retired Army Corp. Your ideology just makes you stupid.

Sep 2007
N48 51.489 E2 17.67119
Not even close. The military is way more important and dangerous than any civilian job.....by far.
I didn't say it wasn't. But how many times have you been tested for exposure to TB in your career? How many times have you been stabbed with contaminated sharps in the middle of a major trauma situation? How many 4 year old girls did you take care of after they were shot by their 6 year old brother (she died in OR)? My little brother, 2 Iraq tours one in the Stan, went active Army after decideing that being a cop in Wichita was just a little more than he bargained for. He still says the predicitability of violence in Iraq was easier to deal with than the unpredicitability of violence in the streets of Wichita (he was in shootings 2 nights in a row on routine traffic stops).

Sea duty in the Navy (we shelled the interior of Vietnam but to what effect I can't tell you) was a breeze.

Aug 2010
See you in a new existence!
You really are clueless.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HenryPorter For This Useful Post:
Dangermouse (Today), Vortex (Today)
I figured the Left would be all over anything which adversely affects our military. Typical of the left be applaud your insults.

Nov 2009
There are many, very many, that do a great a job for us every day. From the police and fire fighters to the teacher and of course those ER personnel. I really don't mean to denigrate what they do. The big difference is, that at any given moment they have the option of just walking away. Not so much in the military.

Last edited: