Tanks

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
Ooo lookie what I just found... a russian tank movie with a fake Tiger tank but I hope it's a fun watch. Must see. brb :eek:nthego:

[video=youtube;j9mfEsQMA8A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9mfEsQMA8A[/video]

Last edited:

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
Neat video about turrets! Not tank, but ww2 airplane turrets..

[video=youtube;ad0dsgy32jc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad0dsgy32jc[/video]

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
New Russian movie just coming out "Nesokrushimy" ("Invincible"/"Indestructible")

Based on real-life story of a Red Army KV-1 tank crew

which, in a 1942 battle in Rostov region, in Southern Russia, by itself destroyed 16 (!) enemy tanks, 2 armored vehicles, and 8 infantry trucks.

Reminds me a bit of this 2014 American WWII tank flick

Which is funny, in a way: one of the stars there is famous Russian actor Vladimir Epifantsev, who portrays the gunner

Back in 2012, he starred in "Kremen" ("Hard as Stone", roughly)

a Russian ripoff of Rambo, where he is Andrey Shamanov, a former Spetsnaz guy who beats the hell out of an entire police station, after catching their commander (whom he had chatted with before, since arriving to town and forgot something in his office and came back for it) sexually forcing himself on a young woman named Anastasia, whose father owns a restaurant in the town and owes the police commander protection money (Rambo adapted to modern Russian realities lol), who becomes his main love interest, and who, btw, is played by his real life wife also named Anastasia haha

He then wages war on the dirty cops in the forest, with just that knife of his, against guys with AKs

Even takes on an entire SOBR (SWAT) unit, at one point

After "Kremen", some folks over there made good money selling knock-off machetes like Shamanov's. Every manly man in Russia wanted himself a knife like that, all of a sudden haha

Anyway, before Kremen, in 2010, Epifantsev was also one of the brothers in Russian version of "Prison Break"

So, basically, he is Russia's Dominic Purcell, Sylvester Stallone, and now also Brad Pitt, all in one :D

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
New Russian movie just coming out "Nesokrushimy" ("Invincible"/"Indestructible")

Based on real-life story of a Red Army KV-1 tank crew

which, in a 1942 battle in Rostov region, in Southern Russia, by itself destroyed 16 (!) enemy tanks, 2 armored vehicles, and 8 infantry trucks.

Reminds me a bit of this 2014 American WWII tank flick
Coool! Those KV-1 and Pz-IV tanks look great ..I wanna see movie :D

Tedminator

Former Staff
Jun 2010
South Florida
Saw am ad for the WWII movie fury coming out. I'll watch it eventually, but noting the trailer the trailer noted that the life expectancy of a tank crew was 6 weeks?
Life expectancy for WW2 US tank crews were relatively good iirc (the M4 Sherman was a good survivable tank so it wasnt unheard of for a tank crew to go through several tanks during their tour). Infantry had it worse, and the worst was for the air force bomber crews as far as life expectancy is concerned.

Last edited:
Jul 2013
Nashville, TN
I would like to see a movie on this battle:

The Battle of Prokhorovka was fought on 12 July 1943[a] near Prokhorovka, 87 kilometres (54 mi) southeast of Kursk in the Soviet Union, during the Second World War. Taking place on the Eastern Front, the engagement was part of the wider Battle of Kursk, and occurred when the 5th Guards Tank Army of the Soviet Red Army attacked the II SS-Panzer Corps of the German Wehrmacht in one of the largest tank battles in military history.[k]
Starting on the morning of 10 July, the II SS-Panzer Corps began its attack toward Prokhorovka.[55] Its 3rd SS-Panzergrenadier Division Totenkopf attacked across the Psel River and secured a bridgehead.[55] The 1st SS-Panzergrenadier Division Leibstandarte SS Adolf Hitler captured Komsomolets State Farm and Hill 241.6.[56] The 2nd SS-Panzergrenadier Division Das Reich defended the panzer corps' flank from Soviet armoured counterattacks.[57]
Excellent wiki article on the battle and the entire Kursk campaign. I have read accounts of this battle by both sides, the fighting grew so fierce that tanks were ramming each other and firing at point blank range turret to turret. The accounts I read said this was the biggest tank battle in history, Wiki says one of the biggest<shrug> Maybe one of the Arab/Israeli battles? Battle of the Chinese Farm?

Battle of Prokhorovka - Wikipedia

Sep 2017
Massachusetts
So, am I the only one wondering just what the outcome between this thing and the Abrams would be?
When was the last major tank battle? Even when it came to Desert Storm, against a military that, on paper, had one of the most fearsome tank forces in the world, tanks ended up mattering hardly at all.... Iraqi tanks were basically just targets for air power. I suppose they have some value when you're doing a hostile occupation and you need to secure a vulnerable supply line or just project scary ground force to deter any direct confrontation. But it's hard to picture scenarios where we get into a major tank war with the Russians.

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
When was the last major tank battle? Even when it came to Desert Storm, against a military that, on paper, had one of the most fearsome tank forces in the world, tanks ended up mattering hardly at all.... Iraqi tanks were basically just targets for air power. I suppose they have some value when you're doing a hostile occupation and you need to secure a vulnerable supply line or just project scary ground force to deter any direct confrontation. But it's hard to picture scenarios where we get into a major tank war with the Russians.
I was actually, funnily enough, just reading a novel which depicts a "local" war over Kaliningrad and the Baltic countries, between Russia, backed by Belarus, against US and Poland. Other NATO nations support the US too, and China also sends some jets and warships to help Russia. All set in 2015. This is a Russian book, mind, so, of course, a. the West are the bad guys, who, especially the Polish, a much hated historical enemy to the Russians, plot to attack Kaliningrad and wrestling it from Russia with the aid of a local "fifth column" of traitors (a shot at liberal opposition activists, naturally lol), long story short, they all attack Kaliningrad, and Russia, in turn, rolls into Estonia, to smash through the Balls to relieve their sailors and Marines in Kaliningrad, who, while outnumbered and overmatched by NATO are heroically defending their land; and, b. Russia and her Allie's win in the end, obviously lmao There is a tactical nuclear exchange, but only warning shots from both sides, in the air, away from population centers, minimum damage to either side, which finally forces them both to the negotiation table :)

Anyway, but they depict some interesting strategies. The guy who wrote the book is a career GRU officer who would have been privy to many real life preparations for such a, God forbid, conflict, so, I have a feeling his ideas in the book are based on the way Russia really intends to fight a NATO invasion if it ever comes to that.

Specifically, they do two big things, in the book. First, they knock out US military satellites in orbit (Russia and China both have developed now technology for this), which takes away effective targeting for NATO airstrikes and missiles. They also make extensive use of their formidable anti-aircraft arsenal to cover their forces. Russia may not be able to match the offensive firepower of USAF, but their defensive umbrella, with S300s and 400s, Buks, and other stuff, is one of the mightiest, if not THE mightiest on Earth today. Because of it, even with relative air superiority, NATO is unable to inflict much damage on Russian (and Belarusian) forces smashing their way into the Baltics. The invasion force involves lots of tanks, as well as highly mobile units of Airborne troops, who move in ahead of the rest of the force, quickly seizing important installations, such as airports, etc.

The book also mentions, I may add, the Baltics ethnic Russian populations, and their mixed loyalties. One scene depicts an ethnic Russian woman who is a patriot of Estonia and hates Putin, who leads a unit of National Guard-type militia they have there, and is having an argument with other ethnic Russian troops in the unit, who don't want to fight their own. Eventually, she and a young man draw weapons on each other, as Russian Paratroopers arrive nearby. He shoots her dead and then he and the rest of the unit surrender to the Russians... Make of that what you will, but, I fear, for Estonia's sake, that might be also a very accurate depiction of how it could go down, given how they were alienating most of their ethnic Russian community for years now ..

This is basically how Russia would be able to hold her own in such a showdown. Although, obviously, I hope it never really happens...