Teachers hitting pupils... sometimes justified???

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto

A strange thing happened when "life safety" teacher Viktor Sadlinsky was caught on video smacking his high-school students in the Russian village of Borovsky: He received an outpouring of sympathy.

Parents and students at School No. 2 in Borovsky, a suburb of regional capital Tyumen in western Siberia, staged rallies in support of the first-year teacher
Petitions were launched describing him as "a worthy teacher and mentor.". And memes like "I am Sadlinsky" and "Bring back Sadlinsky" popped up on social media.

Vowing not to give in, Sadlinsky sued to get his job back.

"We cannot bring rods to school. Times are different," regional education department head Olga Butorina told parents on October 11, a day after the video emerged and Sadlinsky was fired.

"But you have to!" the crowd responded, according to the regional news outlet 72.ru. "It is necessary!"

Educators across the board -- from the school, to the Tyumen region, to the federal authorities -- had serious concerns about what was captured on camera during Sadlinsky's Basic Life Safety class and posted to social media on October 10.

"Who is special here? Are you morons or have you just not gotten [punished] in a long time?" Sadlinsky, 30, can be heard shouting as he walks between rows of desks, striking multiple pupils.

"Are you special?" he asks one student as he grabs him around the neck. "Are you special? he asks another as he jerks his head back violently.

Sadlinsky was fired the same day the video was posted on a VK page devoted to life in Borovsky. But while the local school district quickly issued a statement in which it expressed its "outrage" over the incident, announced that a psychologist was working with the students, and said that the school principal had apologized, some in the community suggested that the kids got what was coming to them.

"The class in which the incident occurred was uncontrollable, there are hooligans there," one unidentified parent whose child had studied under Sadlinsky told 72.ru during a rally outside the school on October 11. "Many teachers don't want to have them in their class, but what should they do?"
More: Student Smackdown: Russian Teacher Gets Support -- And Maybe His Job Back -- After Striking Pupils

I would say it's a generational issue over there.

You have older people, raised in the Soviet era, who think that it is perfectly normal for teachers to physically punish kids who misbehave.

And you have younger, Millenneal parents now, who have also experienced that shit themselves, and don't like it, and think it needs to be a thing of the past and doesn't belong in Russian schools today.

Each camp blames the others for the violence in the schools, the former accusing the latter of stripping discipline from the schools and raising a generation of "loose" own kids who have no respect for their elders; while the latter blame abusive, violent teachers with the Soviet values of that older geration for screwing up the kids...

So far, neither side has really prevailed...

Dec 2018
Florida
Saw a piece about a kid who jacked off in class and rubbed it on a girls face. Yea. Sometimes an ass beating is justified. :shrug: We can’t pretend violence is “never the answer.” Maybe it isn’t. But we might be willing to say “well temporary insanity due to rage is ok.”

Mar 2019
Oklahoma
I raised my children without ever laying a hand on them. If a teacher ever struck either of my children, I’d have them arrested and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
Did you ever get swats in school? I did a few times . . . even during my senior year. I was 18 and got swats because I made the choice to not abide by a classroom rule.

My mom was ticked . . . I think she even ended up calling the teacher (she and my dad had known him for years). He explained the situation to her and from what I remember (it was over 30 years ago) she dropped it. I don't even think my dad batted an eye about it . . . but I am glad he's not the one who issued the punishment.

Nov 2015
UK
A number of years ago, I did some work at a house for a lady customer who's profession was a barrister. The radio was on and the subject of the naughty step, kids gloves idea came on instead of smacking your child. She said the reason why the slipper/cane/smacking was banned in schools was because of the growing number of cases where head teachers etc.. were smacking children for sexual pleasure.

Apr 2014
Maryland
I wouldn’t dare hit a child. But I had a better weapon. One boy kept calling me by my first name. I told him we are not friends any he innocently looked at me and said, “we kind of are friends” all I did was say, “if we’re friends let me tell you about all my arthritis in my left hip and then I have a little sore throat and I went on and on making up ailments ” He never called me by my first name again

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
I wouldn’t dare hit a child. But I had a better weapon. One boy kept calling me by my first name. I told him we are not friends any he innocently looked at me and said, “we kind of are friends” all I did was say, “if we’re friends let me tell you about all my arthritis in my left hip and then I have a little sore throat and I went on and on making up ailments ” He never called me by my first name again
lol I remember, when I just moved to Canada, and started high school here, I didn't know I was supposed to call teachers "Mr. This" and "Mrs. That".

I referred to all the adults in the school by their first and middle name. That is actually the respectful way children in Russia are taught to address adults.

For example, my math teacher back in Moscow was Tatyana Nikolaevna Lobova.

We all called her "Tatyana Nikolaevna".

Little kids, like, Grade 1, can call all adults "Uncle" and "Auntie" over there, but that doesn't fly for anyone over Grade 3, at most haha

So, when I came here, I had, for example, a shop teacher, young Spanish guy (actually from Spain), his name was Manuel Ramon Garcia Fernandez, I joke you not. I just called him "Manuel Ramon". He actually didn't mind it all that much, he was, in fact, trying to be buddies with all us boys, and was cool with such familiarity lol In fact, even told me to just call him "Manny" :D

Other teachers, not so much. They, and my sister, drilled into me the proper way, eventually :)

Reactions: Madeline
Mar 2015
Mad Prophet
I could absolutely not be a teacher. I can't lie, I would end up punching one of those little bastards. Especially if I had to teach myself anything!

I seriously respect our teachers. Especially when I talk to them privately and they tell me how much they love their job and how much they love kids in spite of the fact that they are often targeted with unnecessary abuse.

I have to agree with the with conservatives who are quick to point out that back in the day we went to school we weren't allowed to misbehave. We got in a lot of trouble for it. Couldn't even be loud in the hallway for crying out loud. The ones who end up suffering the most are the kids who are bullied in the hallways and classrooms by unruly future criminals.