Teaching your children table manners is racist

Mar 2019
On a drive-by

Today's Parent

@Todaysparent

Why the way we teach kids table manners is actually kind of racist http://ow.ly/4mcX50w2IVE @joshnamaharaj

1:30 PM - Sep 9, 2019

“Toronto-based chef, activist, and author” Joshna Maharaj writes:
The message we need to send to our kids is that there are many different ways to eat food and that they’re all worthy of respect and acknowledgement. We need to show them that good manners can look quite different from table to table, particularly here in Canada. A great way to start is to ensure that there’s real cultural diversity in the menus served to kids in schools and daycare centres so that they can be exposed to a variety of cuisines and how to eat them. Learning how to properly use a knife and fork is very important, but so is learning how to squeeze a slippery dumpling between chopsticks and how to tear the perfect piece of naan with just one hand.​

Culture isn't a race. When will left wing idiots learn the difference between culture and race?

Nov 2008
Washington state
I fear for the next generation. Correcting children has been toned down the last 30 years and we have mass shootings almost weekly. Teaching kids everyone that opposes their thinking is a racist is going to make them all mass murderers . Not teaching kids how to get along with other people. Teaching them how to dominate others by calling them names. Sad

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mar 2019
"US" of A
I fear for the next generation. Correcting children has been toned down the last 30 years and we have mass shootings almost weekly. Teaching kids everyone that opposes their thinking is a racist is going to make them all mass murderers . Not teaching kids how to get along with other people. Teaching them how to dominate others by calling them names. Sad

Yeah, it's not like america has always been a very violent society that was founded upon violence, slaughter and domination. If we were going to profile mass shooters, who would we profile I wonder.

May 2019
A Van Down by the River...

I don't buy into the racist jive, but I agree that we've had too much free-range child rearing.
Table manners are employed for a reason and not just to appear sophisticated. It's a matter of respect for others. That should be universal regardless of race.
I learned this the hard way in Morocco. They eat with their hands which I adapted to easily enough, but I'm left handed and I soon learned that eating with ones' left hand is a big no no. At one point as a guest at a family post-Ramadan meal (which was a big honor) the patriarch literally tapped my hand with a stern look as it reached in the communal feast. He didn't speak English, but in a very effective way he explained how you cannot eat with the hand that is used in bathroom endeavors. Makes sense.