Teaching your children table manners is racist

May 2019
A Van Down by the River...
I had heard of that. In that part of the world, one uses the right hand for eating and the left hand for bathroom functions. IIRC, that’s why in countries where they have (or still do) punish thieves with amputation, they amputate the right hand, thus making them social pariahs at dinner time.
Yeah, well the joke was on them. I used my right hand for the offending practice. (But I'm a typical American, we carry TP, sani-wipes and Purell chasers...)
That's a new take on the hand-chopping punishment. I thought they did that b/c it's the dominant hand. Well, I guess it's kinda a two-fer.

Aug 2018
Vancouver
Am I missing something? The text quoted in the OP doesn't even mention race or racism.
Yeah of course it didn't.

They just make shit up and get hysterical and offended about it. Frothing with self righteous indignation at something some random person on the internet said - either completely made up, or so totally out of context that it sounds ridiculous.

You're the only one here who even read the quote.

Nov 2016
USA
Yeah, well the joke was on them. I used my right hand for the offending practice. (But I'm a typical American, we carry TP, sani-wipes and Purell chasers...)
That's a new take on the hand-chopping punishment. I thought they did that b/c it's the dominant hand. Well, I guess it's kinda a two-fer.
When I reestablished contact via Facebook with some childhood friends from the time my family lived in Argentina, I discovered that two of my former classmates were left handed. I didn’t know because they were forced to write with their right hand.

I found out when they both posted messages commemorating “Día del Zurdo” (“zurdo” means left handed).

May 2019
A Van Down by the River...
When I reestablished contact via Facebook with some childhood friends from the time my family lived in Argentina, I discovered that two of my former classmates were left handed. I didn’t know because they were forced to write with their right hand.

I found out when they both posted messages commemorating “Día del Zurdo” (“zurdo” means left handed).
The nuns tried like heck to force me to write "properly" until my mom intervened and told them to back off. But it was a little blessing b/c they wouldn't let me use lefty scissors, so it was best I adapted there.
Being left handed back in the day was treated almost like a disability. Funny to think about that now.

Nov 2016
USA
The nuns tried like heck to force me to write "properly" until my mom intervened and told them to back off. But it was a little blessing b/c they wouldn't let me use lefty scissors, so it was best I adapted there.
Being left handed back in the day was treated almost like a disability. Funny to think about that now.
I worked with a woman who was one of seven kids. She was the only person in that family who was right handed. I kid you not.

Nov 2008
Washington state
I don't buy into the racist jive, but I agree that we've had too much free-range child rearing.
Table manners are employed for a reason and not just to appear sophisticated. It's a matter of respect for others. That should be universal regardless of race.
I learned this the hard way in Morocco. They eat with their hands which I adapted to easily enough, but I'm left handed and I soon learned that eating with ones' left hand is a big no no. At one point as a guest at a family post-Ramadan meal (which was a big honor) the patriarch literally tapped my hand with a stern look as it reached in the communal feast. He didn't speak English, but in a very effective way he explained how you cannot eat with the hand that is used in bathroom endeavors. Makes sense.
Don’t they have an area where you can wash you hands? Seems odd they look down on left handed use. How could you eat chicken one handed for instance? Traditional I guess

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk