Teaching your children table manners is racist

May 2019
A Van Down by the River...
Don’t they have an area where you can wash you hands? Seems odd they look down on left handed use. How could you eat chicken one handed for instance? Traditional I guess

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This was in the desert. We at least we're staying on a palm farm where we had an outhouse (with the hole). There is no water right there. When we were staying with the Berber camel dudes in the Sahara you washed your hands and dishes with sand. (Or, if you're American you did you.)

Most places outside larger towns had the same setup -- even if they had a "bathroom" it was just a tiny dark closet with a hole. (Man my thighs were rockin' after that trip!)

Good question about the chicken tho. I don't think I saw much of things like that being eaten communally.

Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
Don’t they have an area where you can wash you hands? Seems odd they look down on left handed use. How could you eat chicken one handed for instance? Traditional I guess
At our Moroccan restaurant, hand-washing is literally Step 2 of the dinner process. The first step is placing a towel on your lap, because many of the dishes (like Pastilla) create a bit of a mess when amateurs like me eat them with our hands.

Dec 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
That's true. I remember that in one DC place.
Now I'm craving Moroccan food.
The one near us serves an eight-course meal at fixed price. The problem is that it's just WAY too much food, and I feel bloated and sleepy afterwards. I'd genuinely enjoy the meal more if they knocked it down to four or five courses.

Oct 2013
USA
Not understanding cultures and traditions can make anyone look like a toad when they visit other countries. He may be on to something. Just read this thread and the interpretations of his point - "good manners can look quite different from table to table". He isn't talking about teaching them how to pull out a fork in China...

Better to be culturally ignorant?

LOL