Teen gets life in prison for decapitating his classmate

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
A Massachusetts teen was sentenced to life in prison for murdering a high school classmate whose decapitated body was found on a riverbank.

Superior Court Judge Helene Kanzajian sentenced Matthew Borges to the harshest penalty available: life in prison. Because Borges was a 15-year-old minor when he committed the crime, he will be eligible for parole in 30 years.

During the trial, prosecutors said Borges sent his ex-girlfriend a text on November 17, 2016. “The next time you see me, look at my eyes because that’s the last time they’ll be like that,” he allegedly wrote. “They’ll be dead.” About 24 hours later, Viloria-Paulino was reported missing.

Almost two weeks later, Omar Medina was walking his dog behind his home along the Merrimack River in Lawrence, Massachusetts, when he made a grim discovery: “I thought I saw a dead body but I wasn’t too sure because it was missing some limbs,” he told jurors during the trial. Viloria-Paulino had been decapitated and both of his hands were missing.

The day after Viloria-Paulino’s body was discovered, officials arrested Borges. He was charged with one count of first-degree murder with premeditation and extreme cruelty and atrocity. Authorities alleged that Borges was jealous of Viloria-Paulino, who had started dating Borges’ ex-girlfriend.

Mass. Teen Gets Life in Prison for Decapitating His Classmate in Fit of Jealousy

Dec 2013
Switzerland
It is something horrible, but can you really send someone who committed such a crime at least 30 years in jail, when he was not even 16 years old at the time he killed ? In my country we would never do it and the maximum anyone between the age of 16 to 18 can get, is only up to a maximum of 4 years of imprisonment. It is possible ot keep him in a educative structure until the age of 25, if his mental development or condition justify a special treatment. It is possible to keep people longer if they are real dangerous, but it can only be decided by a court and only after. In fact we consider that teenagers are not stabilized enough mentally to be treated like adults.Our facilities for juveniles offenders are often half empty even if we have had an important global increase in population over the last 15 years. The basic question which must be asked is what is the role of the judicial system ? Either here to punish or just to find the way to avoid second offence and therefore more focusing on the future of the offender through psychological support, education etc ? From what I can see from the USA the matter is more emotional in your country than in Europe where delinquency is seen as a technical problem and only after a moral one. As a whole if you consider statistics you have proportionally a lot more crimes in the US and people jailed than in most other Western countries and certainly not more security. So what does it mean about the quality of the judicial and penitentiary system ?