Texas landowners dig in to fight Trump’s border wall

Feb 2011
The formerly great golden state
Texas landowners dig in to fight Trump’s border wall

Congress in March funded 33 miles (53 kilometers) of walls and fencing in Texas. The government has laid out plans that would cut across private land in the Rio Grande Valley. Those in the way include landowners who have lived in the valley for generations, environmental groups and a 19th century chapel.

Many have hired lawyers who are preparing to fight the government if, as expected, it moves to seize their land through eminent domain.

The opposition will intensify if Democrats accede to the Trump administration’s demand to build more than 215 new miles of wall, including 104 miles in the Rio Grande Valley and 55 miles near Laredo. Even a compromise solution to build “steel slats,” as Trump has suggested, or more fencing of the kind that Democrats have previously supported would likely trigger more court cases and pushback in Texas.

Trump has more than the Democrats to contend with. Those Texas landowners are not on board with his wall either. Don't mess with Texas!

Say, aren't Texans supposed to be Republicans and conservatives, and aren't conservatives supposed to be for individual rights and against government power and against spending money on expensive boondoggles... just who are the Republicans and who are the Democrats anyway? Trump has set politics on its head.

Jan 2016
Colorado
Figures.

Once a weasel always a weasel.
I can't decide whether a weasel or an ostrich would be a better symbol for today's GOP, as a replacement for the elephant.

I'm still leaning towards the ostrich. Even though I know ostriches don't REALLY stick their heads in the sand, the image just really resonates with me, and immediately makes me think of Republicans.

Oct 2018
Somewhere they can't find me.
I can't decide whether a weasel or an ostrich would be a better symbol for today's GOP, as a replacement for the elephant.

I'm still leaning towards the ostrich. Even though I know ostriches don't REALLY stick their heads in the sand, the image just really resonates with me, and immediately makes me think of Republicans.

Actually, now that you mention it, the weasel would be the perfect mascot for the Libertarian Party.

As for a new symbol for the GOP...I'm thinking parasite. E. coli perhaps? Giardia intestinalis would be another fine choice.

Jan 2016
Colorado
Actually, now that you mention it, the weasel would be the perfect mascot for the Libertarian Party.

As for a new symbol for the GOP...I'm thinking parasite. E. coli perhaps? Giardia intestinalis would be another fine choice.
No, there are actually E. coli that live in our guts and are beneficial. That hardly describes Republicans.

How about the brain-eating amoeba, Naegleria fowleri?

Now that is one nasty parasite.

Oct 2018
Somewhere they can't find me.
No, there are actually E. coli that live in our guts and are beneficial. That hardly describes Republicans.

How about the brain-eating amoeba, Naegleria fowleri?

Now that is one nasty parasite.

I like it!

Nasty and it attacks the same target as Republican bullshit.

Done.