The Air Really Was Cleaner Under Obama

RNG

Jan 2015
Left coast
Remember how not too long ago the esteemed president said the air in the US was the cleanest it has ever been?

Wrong again. And EPA data proves it.

Six types of dangerous air pollutants qualify as “criteria” pollutants under the Clean Air Act, and all are toxic in some form to human health. At least three of them—ozone, nitrous oxide, and particulate matter—are more prevalent now than they were in 2016, before Trump took office, according to EPA data released this week.

And Wheeler’s broader claim that “pollution is on the decline” is also untrue. American emissions of carbon-dioxide pollution surged last year, after several years of decline. Carbon dioxide traps heat in the atmosphere and acidifies the ocean, and it is the most significant driver of climate change.

Apr 2015
Katmandu
Remember how not too long ago the esteemed president said the air in the US was the cleanest it has ever been?

Wrong again. And EPA data proves it.

Six types of dangerous air pollutants qualify as “criteria” pollutants under the Clean Air Act, and all are toxic in some form to human health. At least three of them—ozone, nitrous oxide, and particulate matter—are more prevalent now than they were in 2016, before Trump took office, according to EPA data released this week.

And Wheeler’s broader claim that “pollution is on the decline” is also untrue. American emissions of carbon-dioxide pollution surged last year, after several years of decline. Carbon dioxide traps heat in the atmosphere and acidifies the ocean, and it is the most significant driver of climate change.

The Atlantic, now there is a serious scientific organisation.

Nov 2018
Maryland
EPA hails Trump's work on reducing air pollution | TheHill

https://thehill.com/policy/.../453601-epa-hails-trumps-work-on-reducing-air-pollution

Jul 17, 2019 - The results of the annual national air quality report showed that the ... President Obama'sClean Power Plan for regulating emissions from ...

“Unlike the previous administration who drove an environmental policy that suffocated rural America, this report reaffirms the environmental success of President Trump which includes clean air, clean water and cleaning up toxic land sites at a record pace across our country,” Braun said.

Mar 2019
On a drive-by
The is the same EPA who pollutes rivers with wastewater and won't take responsibility for it.

(CNN)The city of Durango and La Plata County, Colorado, have declared a state of emergency after a federal cleanup crew accidentally released mine waste into the water.
An estimated 1 million gallons of waste water spilled out of an abandoned mine area in the southern part of the state last week, turning the Animas River orange and prompting the Environmental Protection Agency to tell locals to avoid it.

EPA spill turns Animas River in Colorado a toxic orange - CNN

FARMINGTON — The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency announced today that it will not pay more than $1.2 billion in claims filed against it in response to the Gold King Mine spill.

EPA won't pay claims in mine spill that released 3M of gallons of toxic water

RNG

Jan 2015
Left coast
https://thehill.com/policy/.../453601-epa-hails-trumps-work-on-reducing-air-pollution

Jul 17, 2019 - The results of the annual national air quality report showed that the ... President Obama'sClean Power Plan for regulating emissions from ...

“Unlike the previous administration who drove an environmental policy that suffocated rural America, this report reaffirms the environmental success of President Trump which includes clean air, clean water and cleaning up toxic land sites at a record pace across our country,” Braun said.
Trump's hand chosen flunkies saying Trump is doing a good job. Well, who could have imagined. For some reason, the data that the EPA published, as linked in the OP blows that crap out of the water.

RNG

Jan 2015
Left coast
The is the same EPA who pollutes rivers with wastewater and won't take responsibility for it.

(CNN)The city of Durango and La Plata County, Colorado, have declared a state of emergency after a federal cleanup crew accidentally released mine waste into the water.
An estimated 1 million gallons of waste water spilled out of an abandoned mine area in the southern part of the state last week, turning the Animas River orange and prompting the Environmental Protection Agency to tell locals to avoid it.

FARMINGTON — The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency announced today that it will not pay more than $1.2 billion in claims filed against it in response to the Gold King Mine spill.

And who's fault is the pollution in the first place. Odds are they are Trump's friends.

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA

LOL

Obviously, you did not bother to read your own link? LOL

The arguments echo President Trump’s remarks last week from the White House that drew criticism from environmental groups for taking credit for long-term improvements in air quality that had little to do with his own administration’s actions.

“They are taking credit for long term improvements in air quality that are results of regulations we’ve had in place for many years,” said Gretchen Goldman, research director for the Center for Science and Democracy at the Union of Concerned Scientists.

“The way they frame it is we’ve mostly seen improvements of air toxics emissions, but at the same time they are doing that, they are changing policies that will actually make it worsen air toxics emissions.”

And this:

After decades of improvement, America’s air may not be getting any cleaner.

Over the last two years the nation had more polluted air days than just a few years earlier, federal data shows. While it remains unclear whether this is the beginning of a trend, health experts say it’s troubling to see air quality progress stagnate.

President Donald Trump has repeatedly claimed just the opposite, saying earlier this month in Ireland: “We have the cleanest air in the world, in the United States, and it’s gotten better since I’m president.”

That’s not quite the case. There were noticeably more polluted air days each year in the president’s first two years in office than any of the four years before, according to new Environmental Protection Agency data analyzed by The Associated Press.

The Trump administration is expected to replace an Obama-era rule designed to limit emissions from electric power plants on Wednesday. Called the Clean Power Plan, it would have gradually phased out coal-burning power plants that emit both air pollutants and heat-trapping gases responsible for climate change.

US air quality is slipping after years of improvement

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA

What part of your link, don't you understand?

federal cleanup crew accidentally released mine waste into the water

Jul 2019
Atlanta
The Atlantic, now there is a serious scientific organisation.
Its been publishing since 1857.. You have NEVER read it, have you?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Atlantic

The Atlantic is an American magazine and multi-platform publisher. It was founded in 1857 in Boston, Massachusetts as The Atlantic Monthly, a literary and cultural commentary magazine that published leading writers' commentary on the abolition of slavery, education, and other major issues in contemporary political affairs. Its founders included Francis H. Underwood and prominent writers Ralph Waldo Emerson, Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr., Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Harriet Beecher Stowe, an…