The Cable News Tracker

Aug 2018
Vancouver
There's a TV in the lunchroom at work that is set to either CBC or CTV news networks.

I was waiting for the microwave and I flipped to CNN. Then BBC.

And a thread idea was born.

This is the thread where we compare what's on cable news while knuckles is getting food/coffee.

CBC: live reporting of Toronto's relatively violent Halloween week (stabbings and shootings). News scroll showed a credit union data breach, the winners of a reality TV show, and storm damage from last night.

CTV: live reporting from Hong Kong protests. Scroll showed storm damage from last night.

BBC: live reporting from Hong Kong protests. Scroll showed brexit and election updates.

CNN: poll results of people's opinions on Trump impeachment in swing states. Scroll showed people's opinions on Trump impeachment, people opinion of Trump administration, and people opinion on Trump's chances in general election a year away from now.

Nov 2007
Prague, Czech Republic
Thought it might be fun to compare what's being covered here, but the only 24 hour news channel I have (ČT24 - Czech public TV) happened to be on sports. It was about the Rugby World Cup Final; then Nashville-Calgary in the NHL. The tracker was about the weather.

Not sure this is informative.

Aug 2018
Vancouver
11:44

CBC: Spain offers to host UN climate summit after Chile withdraws

CTV: Hong Kong protests

BBC: Syria / Turkey

CNN: opinion polls about Trump impeachment in swing states.

Reactions: The Man
Aug 2018
Vancouver
14:23

CBC: Alberta premiere blames Ottawa for corporate move to US.

CTV: Ukrainian government requesting NATO peacekeepers in east.

CNN: someone ordered someone not to testify about something something Donald Trump impeachment.

At no point in my 8 hour workday has CNN had a single story unrelated to Trump

The Man

Former Staff
Jul 2011
Toronto
I don't even watch regular TV anymore, to be honest.

Get all my info online, me and my wife both.

We would, frankly, cancel our TV service entirely, but we get a bundle discount for it all from Telus (we also get our home phone and internet from them).

Nov 2013
NY
14:23

CBC: Alberta premiere blames Ottawa for corporate move to US.

CTV: Ukrainian government requesting NATO peacekeepers in east.

CNN: someone ordered someone not to testify about something something Donald Trump impeachment.

At no point in my 8 hour workday has CNN had a single story unrelated to Trump
CNN has nothing else anymore for the past 3 years, it feels...but during prime time, that goes for all the opinion networks, in my experience.
Which is why i usually don't watch any of them anymore, all 3 CNN, MSNBC and FoxNews are hyper partisan, subjective and not "news"worthy at all anymore.

Aug 2018
Vancouver
CNN has nothing else anymore for the past 3 years, it feels...but during prime time, that goes for all the opinion networks, in my experience.
Which is why i usually don't watch any of them anymore, all 3 CNN, MSNBC and FoxNews are hyper partisan, subjective and not "news"worthy at all anymore.
I don't have cable at home. Not because I'm Amish or Mr Culture but because YouTube and Netflix have us covered.

The TVs are on CBC or CTV silently at work though, constantly. To give it that " command centre" vibe.

I can't believe CNN. It's like a farce.

Fox and MSNBC aren't on basic cable up here, thank goodness. So all my bile gets piled on CNN.

I'm old enough to remember when they were considered one of the world's foremost news agencies.

Reactions: bajisima
Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Am lucky here to get both CBC and CTV as well as American news. American news literally spends 99% all day on Trump. Seriously. Then we get polls where the average American cant find their state on a map. Yea now we know why.

Nov 2007
Prague, Czech Republic
This is one reason why, whatever you think of their editorial slant, I used to enjoy Al Jazeera. I switched on for a bit yesterday after reading this thread, and it was talking about air pollution in Delhi. This was followed by coverage of the protests in Islamabad; then a piece on the healthcare crisis in Zimbabwe. And then it went to Trump.

It's one of the few international news channels that actually feels like it's making an effort to be international.