'The child started screaming and vomiting and crying hysterically'–the effects of Tru

Dec 2015
In Your Heart!
'The child started screaming and vomiting and crying hysterically'–the effects of Trump's new policy
By Hunter

"The Texas Monthly has an important interview with Anne Chandler, of the Children's Border Project, describing not only the legal manipulations the Trump administration used to launch their new policy of child separation at the border, but the immediate effects. And the effects of what is happening are horrific. Read it."
"That’s one we see again and again. “Your child needs to come with me for a bath.” The child goes off, and in a half an hour, twenty minutes, the parent inquires, “Where is my five-year-old?” “Where’s my seven-year-old?” “This is a long bath.” And they say, “You won’t be seeing your child again.” Sometimes mothers—I was talking to one mother, and she said, “Don’t take my child away,” and the child started screaming and vomiting and crying hysterically, and she asked the officers, “Can I at least have five minutes to console her?” They said no."
"Under international law, asylum seekers may present themselves at the border and the nation is obliged to consider that request. But the administration is both slow-walking asylum requests at legal points of entry and prosecuting asylum-seekers who present themselves to Border Patrol agents anywhere else along the border–using the misdemeanor crime of undocumented entry to imprison those refugee parents, then declaring their children to be "unaccompanied" due to that imprisonment and placing them in detention camps. And there's no assurance that the children thus stripped from their parents will be returned, period. It is cheap regulatory flam-flam meant to provide cover for a willful–and White House admitted–policy of traumatizing children for the sake of "deterring" future refugees, and it is an international human rights crime."
"It is unforgivable, and not a single official implementing these policies should be allowed to work in government ever again. From senator to ICE officer to mewing pundit defending child separation as mechanism for frightening future refugees into choosing some nation other than America or for extracting anti-immigrant "concessions" from administration opponents, we cannot claim to be a decent nation unless we purge every enabler of human rights abuses from our national ranks, and permanently. We are not a fascist country; we will not go down that odious path so willingly."

################################################################################

It is simply INHUMANE the way Trump and his Administration is treating those innocent children and their parents! Time was when cooler heads would prevail. Now, in a Republican atmosphere, all is relegated to anger and rage and the worst possible treatment of innocent little human beings as well as their parents.

They do not care. This is no longer the America one knew and loved as being compassionate to asylum seekers. They say we are not a nation run by fascism however, it has now become very close to Auschwitz. Of that there can be little doubt. But the elections are coming and compassionate voters will Not Forget. They WILL remember how the children are being used so cruelly as bargaining tools and pawns by a big bully administration!

Jan 2014
California
'The child started screaming and vomiting and crying hysterically'–the effects of Trump's new policy
By Hunter

################################################################################

It is simply INHUMANE the way Trump and his Administration is treating those innocent children and their parents! Time was when cooler heads would prevail. Now, in a Republican atmosphere, all is relegated to anger and rage and the worst possible treatment of innocent little human beings as well as their parents.

They do not care. This is no longer the America one knew and loved as being compassionate to asylum seekers. They say we are not a nation run by fascism however, it has now become very close to Auschwitz. Of that there can be little doubt. But the elections are coming and compassionate voters will Not Forget. They WILL remember how the children are being used so cruelly as bargaining tools and pawns by a big bully administration!

Mr. Whip,

Can you believe those parents are such scumbags they would put their kids through that?

Jan 2014
California
I can see your heart is just as dark and non-compassionate as it ever was.
Mr. Whip,

True, I have no sympathy for the scumbag parents who would put their children in danger.

Thankfully, the US government is there to protect the kids and give them the services and support they need.

Sep 2017
Massachusetts
Mr. Whip,

Can you believe those parents are such scumbags they would put their kids through that?
If I were in a position where my child's life were in danger, I hope I would be willing to do what these parents have done to come to another country seeking asylum for the family.

The scumbags, in this case, aren't those who flee crushing poverty and political violence to try to find a brighter future for their families. Rather, the scumbags are the terrorists who try to deter asylum-seeking by torturing the children with these horrifying abrupt separations from their parents. There are humane ways to handle this, but from the perspective of evil people, making the process more humane would be a bug, not a feature, because they want these children to suffer. The suffering of the children is viewed as a way to deter future immigrants, and from a xenophobe's perspective, the suffering of children is a small price to pay to keep brown people away.