The COMPELLING CASE FOR SLASHING DOD FUNDING

Dec 2010
Virginia
Rachel Stevens
Federal News Radio
The Defense Department is unable to account for $8.7 billion of the $9.1 billion in Development Fund for Iraq monies in received for reconstruction in Iraq. This according to a study published today by the Special Inspector General for Iraq Reconstruction.

"This situation occurred because most DoD organizations receiving DFI (Development Fund for Iraq) funds did not establish the required Department of the Treasury accounts and no DoD organization was designated as the executive agent for managing the use of DFI funds," the report states.

The Special Inspector General for Iraq Reconstruction (SIGIR) finds that only one Defense organization actually set up the accounts required by the Treasury.

"The breakdown in controls left the funds vulnerable to inappropriate uses and undetected loss," SIGIR says.

The study recommends that the Secretary of Defense create new accounting and reporting procedures to avoid such mistakes in the future. It also recommends designating an executive agent to oversee progress, establishing measurable milestones, and determining whether any DoD organizations are still holding DFI funds.

For more reports and publications from the Special Inspector General for Iraq Reconstruction, see Publications

Rachel Stevens is an intern with Federal News Radio.

The Commission on Wartime Contracting in Iraq and Afghanistan learns of allegations that subcontractors are stooping to human trafficking to fill positions. For more on that story, click here.

(Copyright 2010 by FederalNewsRadio.com. All Rights Reserved.
This is not unusual for the DOD. The history of this organization is such that we could safely cut 25%-45% of their budget and NEVER feel a twinge. Frankly, if ANY part of the government needs to feel a little "starvation" DOD is it.

Military waste under fire / $1 trillion missing -- Bush plan targets Pentagon accounting - SFGate
DoD Waste and Incompetence Cited by IG in sourcing spare parts for M2 Heavy Machine Gun -SFTT: Best body armor, combat boots, helmets, sidearms and weapons for US frontline troops. | SFTT: Best body armor, combat boots, helmets, sidearms and weapons
Helo Fiasco: U.S. Pays $322 Million, Still No Choppers (Updated) | Danger Room | Wired.com
GAO Rips DoD Waste (5/13/97) -- GovExec.com
GAO: Soaring Use Of Contractors Puts DoD At Risk Of Fraud, Waste - Government Inc.
Billions of Waste Uncovered at DoD - - CFO.com
GAO Highlights DoD Cost Overruns
http://www.govexec.com/dailyfed/0309/033109kp1.html
NationalJournal.com - DOD Procurement Delays, Cost Overruns Rile Lawmakers - Tuesday, February 8, 2011
Pentagon overspending, delays getting worse, auditors find - CNN
http://www.csmonitor.com/World/terrorism-security/2008/0403/p99s01-duts.html

Dec 2010
Virginia

No argument from the right? I guess they've concluded that they can't defend the indefensible.

Last edited:

Sparta

Former Staff
Aug 2006
Connecticut
Wait, why is the Defense Department receiving funds for reconstruction, isn't that sort of like giving money to your mechanic for investment purposes?

Sparta

Former Staff
Aug 2006
Connecticut
I guess my point is this seems to be a case against DOD handling reconstruction. I wouldn't stop paying my mechanic to fix my car if he screwed up my taxes.

Dec 2010
Virginia
Are we supposed to be outraged that the government lost a trillion dollars? or just resigned?
It's not just a trillion dollars. It's billions to hundreds of billions of dollars annually.

More to the point, they lost this money and it didn't affect them at all. No change.

If you or I could lose a significant amount of money (say about 45% of our annual income) and have it not affect us at all then we would be both wise and prudent to (a) stop the hemorraging, and (b) target that particular area of our personal budgets to eliminate as unnecessary and wasteful.

This type of behavior (by DOD) is indicative that we're not getting our "money's worth" out of that organization. We need to do better, and the best way to allow that agency to improve is to tighten their belt (as the right is wont to say of the poor). It will give them an incentive to work harder and manage their expenditures better. It will force the DOD to focus on improving itself and learning to live within its means (again as the right is wont to say of the poor).

Dec 2010
Virginia
I guess my point is this seems to be a case against DOD handling reconstruction. I wouldn't stop paying my mechanic to fix my car if he screwed up my taxes.
It's not just reconstruction, it's weapons procurement and a host of other areas.
The simple truth is that DOD is bloated and inefficient. Sure, implementing significant cuts in DOD (45% range) will cause some pain for the oligarchs and their corporations, but as the right likes to say they need to "share the pain." God knows that they've been protected from it for the last 30 years.