The Cruelty Is the Point

Jul 2011
NYC/Москва
The Museum of African-American History and Culture is in part a catalog of cruelty. Amid all the stories of perseverance, tragedy, and unlikely triumph are the artifacts of inhumanity and barbarism: the child-size slave shackles, the bright red robes of the wizards of the Ku Klux Klan, the recordings of civil-rights protesters being brutalized by police. The artifacts that persist in my memory, the way a bright flash does when you close your eyes, are the photographs of lynchings. But it’s not the burned, mutilated bodies that stick with me. It’s the faces of the white men in the crowd. There’s the photo of the lynching of Thomas Shipp and Abram Smith in Indiana in 1930, in which a white man can be seen grinning at the camera as he tenderly holds the hand of his wife or girlfriend. There’s the undated photo from Duluth, Minnesota, in which grinning white men stand next to the mutilated, half-naked bodies of two men lashed to a post in the street—one of the white men is straining to get into the picture, his smile cutting from ear to ear. There’s the photo of a crowd of white men huddled behind the smoldering corpse of a man burned to death; one of them is wearing a smart suit, a fedora hat, and a bright smile.

The Trump era is such a whirlwind of cruelty that it can be hard to keep track. This week alone, the news broke that the Trump administration was seeking to ethnically cleanse more than 193,000 American children of immigrants whose temporary protected status had been revoked by the administration, that the Department of Homeland Security had lied about creating a database of children that would make it possible to unite them with the families the Trump administration had arbitrarily destroyed, that the White House was considering a blanket ban on visas for Chinese students, and that it would deny visas to the same-sex partners of foreign officials. At a rally in Mississippi, a crowd of Trump supporters cheered as the president mocked Christine Blasey Ford, the psychology professor who has said that Brett Kavanaugh, whom Trump has nominated to a lifetime appointment on the Supreme Court, attempted to rape her when she was a teenager. “Lock her up!” they shouted.

We can hear the spectacle of cruel laughter throughout the Trump era. There were the border-patrol agents cracking up at the crying immigrant childrenseparated from their families, and the Trump adviser who delighted white supremacists when he mocked a child with Down syndrome who was separated from her mother. There were the police who laughed uproariously when the president encouraged them to abuse suspects, and the Fox News hosts mocking a survivor of the Pulse Nightclub massacre (and in the process inundating him with threats), the survivors of sexual assault protesting to Senator Jeff Flake, the women who said the president had sexually assaulted them, and the teen survivors of the Parkland school shooting. There was the president mocking Puerto Rican accents shortly after thousands were killed and tens of thousands displaced by Hurricane Maria, the black athletes protesting unjustified killings by the police, the women of the #MeToo movement who have come forward with stories of sexual abuse, and the disabled reporter whose crime was reporting on Trump truthfully. It is not just that the perpetrators of this cruelty enjoy it; it is that they enjoy it with one another. Their shared laughter at the suffering of others is an adhesive that binds them to one another, and to Trump.

Taking joy in that suffering is more human than most would like to admit. Somewhere on the wide spectrum between adolescent teasing and the smiling white men in the lynching photographs are the Trump supporters whose community is built by rejoicing in the anguish of those they see as unlike them, who have found in their shared cruelty an answer to the loneliness and atomization of modern life.

The Cruelty Is the Point

This article struck a chord with me. Time and time again it's pretty evident that Trump supporters lack empathy. That they "delight" in "owing" the libs.

And then, of course, no toleration at all to people who are not "just like them" Which pretty much means straight white "Christian" men.

Just spend half an hour and social media and you will see it, over and over again.

It's so sad that some are still stuck in that "mindset". It is so toxic to our country as a whole.

Lol omg... did we just compare racist lashing to trump?

The hysterics here. Hahahahaaaaaa

Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
Violence begets more violence. Once again.The Protestors came ARMED for a FIGHT. They STARTED it. Can you prove otherwise?
This is not "they" versus "them." Fields committed murder and many other acts of deliberate violence. He was not acting in self-defense, or any other excuse. He was a right-wing extremist. He was a neo-Nazi. He was a white supremacist. Those philosophies are inherently violent. He was one of the "fine people on both sides" participating in a demonstration advocating those philosophies. And are you forgetting that he committed murder? Not mere killing, as perhaps in self-defense. He had no legal excuse, else it would not have been "murder." You are seeking to justify murder, and you have no excuse; nor can you prove otherwise.

Apr 2019
Southeast
The long list would be due to multiple fringe right wing sites posting about single incidents, so that a single incident will get you as many as a dozen hits. I know. When I’ve tried to do google searches looking to links about violence by right wing trumpists against opponents and the left, I have to wade through link after link after link from multiple fringe RW sites describing the same alleged incident as proof that trump supporters are the eternal innocent victims of evil, unprovoked violence from the left. As this thread shows, some on the right will try to either deny or ‘splaying away RW violence, even murder.
Yeah, i bet only 6 maga hat assaults have occurred in all of history :rolleyes: Nice try, I can recall two against juveniles off the top of my head.
The left commits the most political violence in recent times. They still cant accept the election and they cant get to Trump so his supporters will have to do.

Jul 2011
NYC/Москва
Yeah, i bet only 6 maga hat assaults have occurred in all of history :rolleyes: Nice try, I can recall two against juveniles off the top of my head.
The left commits the most political violence in recent times. They still cant accept the election and they cant get to Trump so his supporters will have to do.

@birdzeyez likes to tell things that are not truths.

AKA lies.

Alleged criminal and intolerant acts against people wearing MAGA hats and clothes have been on the rise