The Decimal Value Of Pi Has Now Been Computed To 31.4 Trillion Digits

Jun 2014
United States
Way back when, Carl Sagan wrote a nifty science fiction novel titled Contact------they made a fine movie out of it, starring Jodie Foster. The novel included a plot element that was not in the movie, though: in the novel, once the whiz-bang computer scientists had computed the value of pi out to a mere billion decimal places, they came across a long, long string of 1's and 0's. It was a DIGITAL MESSAGE, encoded into the decimal value of pi! Presumably, by GOD! [Because who ELSE could DO that sort of thing, see?]

Well, there was obviously no digital message awaiting us as we got out to the billionth decimal place of pi. Sorry. Big disappointment. We were so hoping to hear from the Creator.

Maybe we need to get out to the QUADRILLIONTH digit before we hit the message! Let's get to it! Maybe She just wanted to make it more challenging for us!

Even if we did find the message, how would we know that it wasn't merely an instance of the Infinite Monkey phenomenon? ;)

Jan 2014
California
Even though I’m a numbers geek myself, I can’t help but wonder why anybody has bothered to calculate the value of pi to the trillionth degree.
Mr. birdeyez,

I'm an engineer. We work in terms of significant figures. Unless the radius of a circle has been measured to 0.31399999999999th of an inch, it doesn't matter....;)

Jul 2015
Florida
Those clever folks at Google have now, in honor of Pi Day (which was yesterday, don't you know?), computed the value of the irrational mathematical constant pi out to 31.4 trillion decimal places.

Pi in the sky: Calculating a record-breaking 31.4 trillion digits of Archimedes’ constant on Google Cloud | Google Cloud Blog

Way back when, Carl Sagan wrote a nifty science fiction novel titled Contact------they made a fine movie out of it, starring Jodie Foster. The novel included a plot element that was not in the movie, though: in the novel, once the whiz-bang computer scientists had computed the value of pi out to a mere billion decimal places, they came across a long, long string of 1's and 0's. It was a DIGITAL MESSAGE, encoded into the decimal value of pi! Presumably, by GOD! [Because who ELSE could DO that sort of thing, see?]

Well, there was obviously no digital message awaiting us as we got out to the billionth decimal place of pi. Sorry. Big disappointment. We were so hoping to hear from the Creator.

Maybe we need to get out to the QUADRILLIONTH digit before we hit the message! Let's get to it! Maybe She just wanted to make it more challenging for us!
Yeah, but do they understand it?

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
Way back when, Carl Sagan wrote a nifty science fiction novel titled Contact------they made a fine movie out of it, starring Jodie Foster.
Only trouble with the movie is they way overplayed the science-versus-religion thing. My recollection of the novel (I only read it once, though) is that this was far more minor an issue than the film made out.

Jan 2016
Colorado
Only trouble with the movie is they way overplayed the science-versus-religion thing. My recollection of the novel (I only read it once, though) is that this was far more minor an issue than the film made out.
There's kind of a science vs religion 'thing' going on in America these days, isn't there?

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
There's kind of a science vs religion 'thing' going on in America these days, isn't there?
As there was when the movie came out ... it's been going on since at least 1980. But that wasn't the main thrust of the book, unlike the movie.