The Democrats’ Gentrification Problem

Feb 2016
Yoknapatawpha County
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/2018/04/20/the_democrats039_gentrification_problem_440317.html

Rodrik cites the work of the French economist Thomas Piketty, who argues that political parties on the left have been taken over, here and in Europe, “by the well-educated elite” — what Piketty calls the “Brahmin Left.” The Brahmin Left, writes Rodrik,

is not friendly to redistribution, because it believes in meritocracy — a world in which effort gets rewarded and low incomes are more likely to be the result of insufficient effort than poor luck.

Michael Lind, a professor of public policy at the University of Texas in Austin, wrote in a prescient 2014 essay, “The Coming Realignment: Cities, Class, and Ideology After Social Conservatism,” that “high-density downtowns and suburban villages are coming to have an hourglass-shaped social structure.”

“Wealthy individuals” are at the top, according to Lind, with a “large luxury-service proletariat at the bottom.” Democrats, in this scheme, have become the party of

the downtown and edge city elites and their supporting staff of disproportionately foreign-born, low-wage service workers.
I've been saying this for some time about a current Democratic Party that insists on open borders and outsourcing as a means of satisfying the demands of the wealthy 1%.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Jul 2015
Florida
The well educated, the elite, EDUCATED women, AND unions, and the poor, and minorities and EDUCATED minorities, and immigrants and EDUCATED immigrants, and, and, and... You see WE really do have a big tent!

Don't you hate when commentators fall short of telling 'the' story?

I am of course speaking for the US 'LEFT'. I won't profess to speak for the LEFT of Europe even though REAL CLEAR POLITICS does.

Feb 2016
Yoknapatawpha County
The well educated, the elite, EDUCATED women, AND unions, and the poor, and minorities and EDUCATED minorities, and immigrants and EDUCATED immigrants, and, and, and... You see WE really do have a big tent!

Don't you hate when commentators fall short of telling 'the' story?

I am of course speaking for the US 'LEFT'. I won't profess to speak for the LEFT of Europe even though REAL CLEAR POLITICS does.
This author did tell the story. We've been watching this pattern emerge in California for quite some time.

This is the story......

Wealthy individuals” are at the top, according to Lind, with a “large luxury-service proletariat at the bottom.” Democrats, in this scheme, have become the party of

the downtown and edge city elites and their supporting staff of disproportionately foreign-born, low-wage service workers.

Feb 2016
Yoknapatawpha County
Obama didn't think it was right to punish kids who are brought here illegally by their parents, which is exactly the same thing. :zany:
There was also this.......

An Obama executive action on immigration could impact midterms

Washington (CNN) - A possible move by Obama administration to single-handedly act on immigration reform before November's midterm elections could have major political consequences.

The White House could by the end of the summer use executive action to grant work permits to possibly millions of undocumented immigrants, multiple sources confirm to CNN. Such a move would legally allow such undocumented immigrants to stay in the U.S....

Blueneck

Former Staff
Jun 2007
Ohio
You said "open borders".

Nothing you've posted talks about Democrats wanting "open borders". There's a time and place for hyperbole, and it should be used sparingly and not become a mantra, especially when you are using it to cast false aspersions on other people's motives.

Quit telling me I want open borders and I'll quit saying you want kids in school killed to preserve your 2A rights.

Deal?

Feb 2016
Yoknapatawpha County
Sorry, you base your opinions on shitty opinion pieces?

Have you an actual example of what you claimed is real? The open borders nonsense that people are insisting on?
That would be "shitty opinion pieces with facts."

As the Democrats grew more reliant on Latino votes, they were more influenced by pro-immigrant activism. While Obama was running for reelection, immigrants’-rights advocates launched protests against the administration’s deportation practices; these protests culminated, in June 2012, in a sit-in at an Obama campaign office in Denver. Ten days later, the administration announced that it would defer the deportation of undocumented immigrants who had arrived in the U.S. before the age of 16 and met various other criteria. Obama, The New York Times noted, “was facing growing pressure from Latino leaders and Democrats who warned that because of his harsh immigration enforcement, his support was lagging among Latinos who could be crucial voters in his race for re-election.”

Alongside pressure from pro-immigrant activists came pressure from corporate America, especially the Democrat-aligned tech industry, which uses the H-1B visa program to import workers. In 2010, New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, along with the CEOs of companies including Hewlett-Packard, Boeing, Disney, and News Corporation, formed New American Economy to advocate for business-friendly immigration policies. Three years later, Mark Zuckerberg and Bill Gates helped found FWD.us to promote a similar agenda.