THe Easter Bunny, Santa Klaus, Tooth Fairy, and Third Parties

Dec 2010
Virginia
The third-party stump speech we need
By Matt Miller, Published: September 25
This is one columnist’s stab at what a candidate might sound like if he or she were trying to appeal to the majority of voters in the middle of the electorate who feel both parties are failing us.

My fellow alienated Americans:

How’s this for something different? I want to raise your taxes, cut spending on programs you like, and force you to rethink how we run our schools, banks, armies, hospitals and elections. And I want you to cheer when I’m done. Because if you embrace the “decade of renewal” I’m calling for, we’ll emerge with a more competitive, sustainable and just America — the kind of America we all want to leave to our children.

I’m running for president as an independent because we need to change the debate if we’re going to change the country. Neither of our two major parties has a strategy for solving our biggest problems; they have strategies for winning elections, which isn’t the same thing. Democrats and Republicans will tell you, as I do, that they want to make America competitive again, keep faith with our deepest values of fairness and opportunity, and fix our broken political system. But the Democrats’ timid half-measures and the Republicans’ mindless anti-government creed can’t begin to get us there. Both parties are prisoner to interest groups and ideological litmus tests that prevent them from blending the best of liberal and conservative thinking. And neither party trusts you enough to lay out the facts and explain the steps we need to take to truly fix things — in fact, their pollsters tell them that if they do, you’ll vote them out.

The third-party stump speech we need - The Washington Post

Americans distrust their government in record numbers. They express deep discontent with the current crop of candidates running for President. Many, on this forum, have advocated for a "magical" third party who will articulate a different vision. They claim they want honesty from our politicians and a change from politics as usual. I would argue that a third party presidency is as believable as the Easter Bunny, Santa Klaus, and the Tooth Fairy. It's a fantasy used to disguise the fact that change requires both money and hard work...neither of which the American people are willing to invest. Now, I'm sure I'll hear about the Tea Party as an example of a "new" movement dedicated to change. What utter nonsense. The Tea Party is the Radical Right faction of the GOP (formerly the neocons) dressed up in brand new packaging, while spouting the same old ideas. Libertarianism is afflicted with so many variations, qualifiers, and factions its closest human analog would be a person with multiple personality disorder. Single issue parties, like the greens, are doomed from the start...no one wants to hug a tree that badly. In short, the real problem is that we have the government we deserve, and we have found it isn't the government we want. Well, if people really want to change it, then there is a simple solution: public financing of elections, take the big money out of electing officials, write some tough laws which preclude elected officials from taking jobs with big business, banks or other high money influencers for ten years after being in office, and put some strong financial disclosure and conflict of interest laws on the books. In short, make it the PEOPLE'S government again. Will it happen? Not in my lifetime.

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
Well, if people really want to change it, then there is a simple solution: public financing of elections, take the big money out of electing officials, write some tough laws which preclude elected officials from taking jobs with big business, banks or other high money influencers for ten years after being in office, and put some strong financial disclosure and conflict of interest laws on the books. In short, make it the PEOPLE'S government again. Will it happen? Not in my lifetime.
I agree wholeheartedly with the above! Things cannot really change until those things are done. The people's voice has shrunk so small compared to big money and big business. No wonder the country is so effed up!

Jul 2011
Except for the cutting spending part, that stump speech sounds just like what a Democrat would say.

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
Except for the cutting spending part, that stump speech sounds just like what a Democrat would say.
It seems to me that most Democrats agree that we need to cut spending, we just disagree as to what should be cut and to what degree and in what way.

Reactions: Stefan Bandera