The #ElPasoChallenge... Who's Up For It?

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
In a world where people tire of things like Slacktivism and Thoughts & Prayers & Nothing Else, one little boy struggling with a shooting in his community is trying to make a difference.

El Paso Challenge: An 11-year-old started a campaign to help his community heal - CNN

He calls it the #ElPasoChallenge.

Here's how it works: The 11-year-old is challenging each person in El Paso to do 22 good deeds for others --- one for each of the victims shot and killed when a white supremacist began firing Saturday inside a Walmart.

You can mow someone's lawn, visit a nursing home, pay for someone's lunch or dinner, donate to families in need, write someone a letter and tell them how great they are, hold the door for everyone, take flowers to someone in the hospital or leave a dollar on the vending machine for the next person, the young boy suggests, among other ideas in a list of "kind acts" examples.

Jan 2014
California
In a world where people tire of things like Slacktivism and Thoughts & Prayers & Nothing Else, one little boy struggling with a shooting in his community is trying to make a difference.

El Paso Challenge: An 11-year-old started a campaign to help his community heal - CNN

Here's how it works: The 11-year-old is challenging each person in El Paso to do 22 good deeds for others --- one for each of the victims shot and killed when a white supremacist began firing Saturday inside a Walmart.

You can mow someone's lawn, visit a nursing home, pay for someone's lunch or dinner, donate to families in need, write someone a letter and tell them how great they are, hold the door for everyone, take flowers to someone in the hospital or leave a dollar on the vending machine for the next person, the young boy suggests, among other ideas in a list of "kind acts" examples.
Mr. boontito,

I usually hit 25 good deeds by 10:00 each morning...;)

Kidding, but I generally get at least a couple a day. Last night, I was at the grocery store, a woman was holding a box of canned tomato behind me. Since I had a full cart, I waved her ahead of me. Turns out she had a full basket on the floor that I didn't see. I shrugged my shoulders and said "I guess I already waved you ahead." Less then 1/2 minute later, a guy came up with a single bag of lettuce. I just sighed and waved him ahead too.

Last edited:
Mar 2019
In Sunday School with Hognoxious
We're supposed to do that stuff anyway.

No offense to the boy, he's trying to do good deeds. But the problem is evil in this world, evil people. And doing good works in the community won't fix that.

Mar 2019
"US" of A
Thread Derailing

With a name like "Ruben Martinez" he has to be a drug dealer, an MS-13 member, a criminal or some manifestation of filthy invader.

May 2013
Banned Camp Segregation Unit
Thread Derailing
Mr. boontito,

Kidding, but I generally get at least a couple a day. Last night, I was at the grocery store, a woman was holding a box of canned tomato behind me. Since I had a full cart, I waved her ahead of me. Turns out she had a full basket on the floor that I didn't see. I shrugged my shoulders and said "I guess I already waved you ahead." Less then 1/2 minute later, a guy came up with a single bag of lettuce. I just sighed and waved him ahead too.
You can do a good deed by taking a long walk off of a short pier.............................

Jul 2019
Atlanta
With a name like "Ruben Martinez" he has to be a drug dealer, an MS-13 member, a criminal or some manifestation of filthy invader.
Excerpt:

Mar 2019
"US" of A
Mr. boontito,

Free a kid from a cage some day and get back to us.

Mar 2019
"US" of A
Thread Derailing
Excerpt:

See sarcasm, america is still not yet ready to confront it's foundational legacy of instituting a white supremacist society.

boontito

Future Staff
Jan 2008
Most Insidious
We're supposed to do that stuff anyway.

No offense to the boy, he's trying to do good deeds. But the problem is evil in this world, evil people. And doing good works in the community won't fix that.
Disagree.

Evil can be reached in desperation, through anger or by being taught. Your act of kindness, or a community's combined acts of kindness, might be all it takes to redirect someone away from their course towards evil.

Just think, through a kind act from our own past, we may have already thwarted a mass shooter.