The Exclusivity of God

Jul 2019
Atlanta
While we are having problems dating the flood we have found more than enough evidence that that area had flooded. There have been many villages in the Carmel Mountains discovered that were destroyed by a great flood amongst other evidence. We know the Mediterranean has caused monstrous flooding as well as the Black Sea. What caused these is up for debate...whether rising waters from the climate or sudden tsunami's....we simply do not know.

All we know for certain was that this area was hit multiple times by extreme flooding so its possible that Noah and the flood in the Epic of Gilgamesh were two separate events.

Given the supposed time lapse between those stories that seems the most possible explanation.

There just isn't a way to get any absolute dating on any of this which ultimately is the problem.

The Bible is a pretty accurate history book as far as events go, not scientific by any means but it stays pretty true to course. The problem with the Bible is the lack of detail to nail down specific dating. So if it says there was a great flood there probably was but that's simply nothing more than a starting point to begin researching something and not much help overall.

I think this was done on purpose so we as Christians do not get too focused on the event but recognize the story and lesson that event is supposed to represent.
The area flooded frequently .. That's what built up the delta south of Basra. .. and basically that's why it was called the Fertile Crescent. Look at a map.

The source of the flooding was spring snowmelt from the mountains coupled with spring rains. Its not supernatural and it was never global.

May 2012
By the wall
Noah is a fictional character.

The Carmel mountain villages do flood from time to time.. during rainy season they may get a sudden 60 Millimeters of water which is 2.3 inches.
This thread is assuming he isn't.

If that is your argument then you have no business posting here.

Jul 2019
Atlanta
This thread is assuming he isn't.

If that is your argument then you have no business posting here.
The flood dates to 2900 BC and was in the Euphrates River Basin. Lasted 4 days.

Its a Babylonian story about Šuruppak.. the city of the Flood story. Noah's name was Ziusudra.

As you can see from the map.. flooding was a good thing.. That's why the Euphrates River Basin and the Nile Delta were so fertile and productive.

May 2012
By the wall
The flood dates to 2900 BC and was in the Euphrates River Basin. Lasted 4 days.

Its a Babylonian story about Šuruppak.. the city of the Flood story. Noah's name was Ziusudra.

As you can see from the map.. flooding was a good thing.. That's why the Euphrates River Basin and the Nile Delta were so fertile and productive.
My point was not about the origins of the story but whether a flood was likely.

You can call Noah any name you choose to but it is irrelevant to my discussion.

I think you have affirmed that it did happen.

Jul 2019
Atlanta
My point was not about the origins of the story but whether a flood was likely.

You can call Noah any name you choose to but it is irrelevant to my discussion.

I think you have affirmed that it did happen.
There was no global flood. There isn't a geologist in the world who would say there was.

May 2012
By the wall
Of course not but the Bible used the word earth to describe the flood and that word has six distinct meanings in the Bible.

One of which is area...so when Noah said the Earth flooded he could have been referencing just that area.

Jul 2019
Atlanta
Of course not but the Bible used the word earth to describe the flood and that word has six distinct meanings in the Bible.

One of which is area...so when Noah said the Earth flooded he could have been referencing just that area.
I think the world as they knew it, which was rather small, may have flooded. In any case the Jews borrowed the story from the Babylonians and wrote their own version about 600 BC.

Or, its possible they learned the story from the North Coast Canaanites at al Shamra.

May 2012
By the wall
I think the world as they knew it, which was rather small, may have flooded. In any case the Jews borrowed the story from the Babylonians and wrote their own version about 600 BC.

Or, its possible they learned the story from the North Coast Canaanites at al Shamra.
That timeline is sketchy at best.

It's possible they both experienced the same event.

Which would make sense.

There is proof of that entire area being flooded multiple times.