the experience of changing one's mind.

Apr 2019
ninth and hennepin
Please describe a time that you changed your opinion about something or someone?

How did it happen? what moved you to another opinion about the thing?

I will submit my entry at a later time.

Jan 2014
California
Please describe a time that you changed your opinion about something or someone?

Mr. arcturus,

Just the other day, I was going to order the goat shank, but at the last minute, when the waiter came to me, I went for the duck confit. It had something to do with someone else at the table ordering the goat shank first.

Apr 2019
ninth and hennepin
i used to hate pit-bulls and what I considered aggressive breeds of dogs. the reason is largely experience. i grew up in a relatively poor neighborhood and often you'd see those dogs running around loose.

once i was harassed by a large white german shepard type dog as a kid. my mom asked me to deliver some cookies to a neighbor as a gift. i ended up swinging the bag of cookies to keep the dog at bay. a neighbor lady came out and kept me from getting bit and was bit in the process.

once i was playing "hide and go seek" with my brother and running around my house I jumped our fence dividing our front yard from our rear yard. i heard a noise and the next thing i knew a pit-bull had latched on to my butt. i fell back on him and managed to free his grip.

a year or so later that same pit bull got out and mauled a younger child's arm while the kid just just screamed.

a few years ago my brother was attacked by two huge rottweilers while he was jogging. in all of these cases the owners were unrepentant.

so this is where i was with dogs....then the change....

i'm hiking in the mountains in hawaii and i got somewhat lost, i found a way out and i'm near large highway with cars racing around the corner. as they come around the corner, they are swerving because there is a dog walking in the road. a pit-bull mix.

i'm not wanting to get bit but i'm also not wanting to see this dog get killed. i whistled at her and called her to me. she came to me with tail between its legs. i grabbed its collar and walked it to the side, off the road. i'm beat, just did a several hour hike and know i have this dog to contend with. i looked at its collar and saw it had a number and a big GPS device; it was a boar hunting dog. yes they do that there.

i called the number and it's a disconnected number. finally i wave down a hippie couple who lets me and the dog ride in the back of their pick-up and they take us to the humane society. i drop the dog off and tell them to call me if the owner does not show or if they can't find anyone to take her. they never called.

it was a sweet dog and was never aggressive with me. it seemed to like me and gathered that i wanted to help it.

this is how my opnion changed about "aggressive dogs". i don't hate them. theyre just animals who got what they got honestly (be it a sh*tty owner or what have you).

Jul 2014
midwest
I got sick after eating onion rings one time.

Don't know if it was the onion rings that made me sick, but they are what came up.

Did not eat onion rings for years after that.

My opinion of onion rings was adversely affected, even though it may not have been their fault...

Mar 2015
Mad Prophet

I have been wrong quite a few times on the internets, most notably, when i supported Trayvon Martin. My about-face was enormously unpopular with my Liberal friends, but my summary judgment was ill-conceived and woefully misinformed.

johnflesh

Former Staff
Feb 2007

A time? Every single day.

It happens by keeping an open mind.

People are so emotional, sensational, sometimes rational, logical, illogical, unremarkable, scared etc. All over the place.
But what changes my mind is not well stated opinion, logic, or conviction alone - but, what makes the most sense, even if it works against me at this point in time. And sometimes that doesn't follow a standard opinion, logic or conviction.

Now, changing someone's mind is a whole other animal. Most people I come into contact on here and in the real world do not have any plans on changing their mind. Perhaps I'm wrong about them, but they'll need to change my mind.

Nov 2018
Maryland
As a kid, my grandmother made spinach with gravy in it. Don't ask me why.

I thought that was the way it was always served and wouldn't eat it. When I got older and ate spinach without gravy, I loved it and love it to this day.

Ian Jeffrey

Council Hall
Mar 2013
Vulcan, down the street from Darth Vader
As a kid, my grandmother made spinach with gravy in it. Don't ask me why.
Ick.
I thought that was the way it was always served and wouldn't eat it.

When I got older and ate spinach without gravy, I loved it and love it to this day.
My mother used to prepare that frozen stuff (this was well over 40 years ago) that was absolutely awful, and I thought that (and the canned stuff Popeye ate) is what spinach was all about. That stayed with me well into adulthood. When I discovered fresh spinach leaves that got put in a salad - especially with only a light oil/vinegar dressing - I found out what the real thing was like, and eat plenty of it when available.

Dec 2014
NWOHQ

I could write a 3,000 word essay on this topic just in keeping with the theme of this sub forum, however, I will be concise.

My example is that of moving away from faith in ideologies. As an avid student of history I realised that the worst excesses of man are performed in the name of an ideology. I could provide historical examples all day long, but suffice it to say, that the justification for genocides is always ideological whether it be political or religious ~ and that is the basis for my scepticism and suspicion.

'Beware the man of one book', whether it be Mein Kampf, or the Bible, it makes no difference, for almost anything can be used as justification for killing.

Last edited:
Mar 2019
California
Ick.

My mother used to prepare that frozen stuff (this was well over 40 years ago) that was absolutely awful, and I thought that (and the canned stuff Popeye ate) is what spinach was all about. That stayed with me well into adulthood. When I discovered fresh spinach leaves that got put in a salad - especially with only a light oil/vinegar dressing - I found out what the real thing was like, and eat plenty of it when available.
Spinach is good with any pasta sauce. Salads. Soups. Or just with butter. Didn't like it as a kid.