The Failed Economic Promises Of Donald Trump

Apr 2015
Katmandu
Did you somehow miss the news that Consumer Confidence has actually DECLINED since Trump actually took office, according to the widely-cited University of Michigan Consumer Confidence Survey? Did you miss that?
So what exactly did Obama do in November of 2016 that reversed the decline in consumer confidence that began in February 2015?

Jan 2016
Colorado
So what exactly did Obama do in November of 2016 that reversed the decline in consumer confidence that began in February 2015?
Huh?!?? Nowhere did I say or even imply that he did. I merely observed that your big spike in consumer confidence after Trump was elected, which was real enough, completely fizzled out once he actually took office, at least as per the University of Michigan Consumer Confidence Survey.

Do let me know if you are still disputing that. I tire and weary of running you through the numbers, which are obvious as all hell, but will do so one more time, if necessary.

Apr 2015
Katmandu
Huh?!?? Nowhere did I say or even imply that he did. I merely observed that your big spike in consumer confidence after Trump was elected, which was real enough, completely fizzled out once he actually took office, at least as per the University of Michigan Consumer Confidence Survey.

Do let me know if you are still disputing that. I tire and weary of running you through the numbers, which are obvious as all hell, but will do so one more time, if necessary.
So consumer confidence has dropped to a lower level than we suffered through with Obama?

Is consumer confidence higher now than it has been in 10 years?

Jan 2016
Colorado
So consumer confidence has dropped to a lower level than we suffered through with Obama?

Is consumer confidence higher now than it has been in 10 years?
No, it's not, not according to the University of Michigan Consumer Confidence Survey. It has actually fallen a bit since March of this year. That was the high point of the last ten years. That's the answer to your second question.

Your first question is kind of garbled. Again, consumer confidence ROSE almost consistently during the Obama years, save for TWO periods: the summer of 2011, when we had the Republican-created debt ceiling fiasco, with S&P downgrading the credit rating of America and BLAMING it on the Republicans in Congress; and then again leading up to the election of 2016, which was perfectly understandable, given the MASSIVE UNCERTAINTY about the future direction of U.S. economic policy. We've been through this before, Libertine. Why do you do this? Why this infantile stuff on your part, where you force me to rebut your stupid arguments over and over and over again? STOP IT. Stop being a fucking child. Grow up.

Apr 2015
Katmandu
What happened to consumer confidence in October 2016?

How did consumer confidence look from Jan 2015 through October 2016, was the trend up or down?

In 2016 it looked like Hillary was the shoo in, what happened to CC in 2016, all the way through October?

What happened to CC when Trump won?

Last edited:
Sep 2013
On a hill
No, it's not, not according to the University of Michigan Consumer Confidence Survey. It has actually fallen a bit since March of this year. That was the high point of the last ten years. That's the answer to your second question.

Your first question is kind of garbled. Again, consumer confidence ROSE almost consistently during the Obama years, save for TWO periods: the summer of 2011, when we had the Republican-created debt ceiling fiasco, with S&P downgrading the credit rating of America and BLAMING it on the Republicans in Congress; and then again leading up to the election of 2016, which was perfectly understandable, given the MASSIVE UNCERTAINTY about the future direction of U.S. economic policy. We've been through this before, Libertine. Why do you do this? Why this infantile stuff on your part, where you force me to rebut your stupid arguments over and over and over again? STOP IT. Stop being a fucking child. Grow up.
He's in denial.

Jan 2016
Colorado
Time to update this thread.

Mr. Trump has indeed FAILED on his signature economic promise, to restore America to 4% economic growth. 2018 Real GDP Growth will come in at 3.1%, based on the initial reading of 4th Quarter 2018 GDP Growth-----which could be revised later.

That giant tax cut essentially got us a few QUARTERS of above-trend economic growth, and the benefits of that tax cut are now fizzling out, with 2019 economic growth expected to come in at something like 2.5%, and then with the majority of business economists expecting a recession in the election year of 2020:

Donald Trump will be faced with a recession by the end of 2020, a majority of business economists say

Jun 2014
In A Van Down By The River
I think what most peopke dont "understand" is that record Gross Domestic Product means Jack Diddly Squats..

In the 1980s GDP was less than "half" todays levels or perhaps how we "measure" it now..

Yet a starter Home only cost like 40/50 grand and a brand new vehicle only cost like 10/15k off the lot full factory warranties too...

These days replace HOME with Vehicle

And that crappy Starter Home your folks bought now goes for 180k..

Yet the WAGES are only $2/ $3 dollars per hour more than your folks were making back then..

Now adjust for Inflation they were making "Double" even Triple in Raw Purchasing Power