The Failed Economic Promises Of Donald Trump

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Well he might just get the Fed to cut interest rates. That would be a promise he said he would do back in January. If I recall correctly he said "lower the rates or else!"

Reactions: BigLeRoy and Jets
Jan 2016
Colorado
Well he might just get the Fed to cut interest rates. That would be a promise he said he would do back in January. If I recall correctly he said "lower the rates or else!"
Or else, by golly, he'll DEMOTE Jerome Powell?

Mar 2012
New Hampshire
Or else, by golly, he'll DEMOTE Jerome Powell?
Well old Jerome seems to be listening. Quite a few expect rates to be lowered next month even though a majority of "experts" say it should either remain or be raised. I think thats caving. I still think Trump has pictures of all these guys or something...

Reactions: BigLeRoy
Jan 2016
Colorado
Well old Jerome seems to be listening. Quite a few expect rates to be lowered next month even though a majority of "experts" say it should either remain or be raised. I think thats caving. I still think Trump has pictures of all these guys or something...
The market sees almost a 100% chance of a rate cut in July, and yes, I think it will be a mistake.

I will come back to this later, after I hopefully find a newspaper article I clipped out regarding this......

Reactions: bajisima
Mar 2012
New Hampshire
The market sees almost a 100% chance of a rate cut in July, and yes, I think it will be a mistake.

I will come back to this later, after I hopefully find a newspaper article I clipped out regarding this......
The part that is most bothersome is that Powell and much of the Fed swore up and down just a few months ago that rates would NOT be cut because Trump asked them to. They went on and on about how they are independent and dont take orders from him. So if they do cut rates next month it has a terrible optic and makes them look "owned."

Reactions: BigLeRoy
Jan 2016
Colorado
The part that is most bothersome is that Powell and much of the Fed swore up and down just a few months ago that rates would NOT be cut because Trump asked them to. They went on and on about how they are independent and dont take orders from him. So if they do cut rates next month it has a terrible optic and makes them look "owned."
This will be even more true if the Fed pushes through a 50 basis points cut in interest rates at the September meeting, which many people think IS likely.....because the GLOBAL economy is suddenly looking very sickly, with Germany in recession and China in a major slowdown, and many other countries (Japan, Italy, the United Kingdom) simply not growing.

Jan 2007
This will be even more true if the Fed pushes through a 50 basis points cut in interest rates at the September meeting, which many people think IS likely.....because the GLOBAL economy is suddenly looking very sickly, with Germany in recession and China in a major slowdown, and many other countries (Japan, Italy, the United Kingdom) simply not growing.
Keep our rates steady and there will be a flood of foreign money pouring in. Do fear a rate cut which will be horrible. I guess we still look good to the rest of the world.

Jan 2016
Colorado
Keep our rates steady and there will be a flood of foreign money pouring in. Do fear a rate cut which will be horrible. I guess we still look good to the rest of the world.
America is the best-looking horse in the glue factory!