The failure of the "good guy with a gun" theory

Jun 2018
US
When Wisconsin went concealed carry several years ago, a local police chief being interviewed about the new law said, quite ominously, that his department has received appropriate training and are prepared to deal with any situation. Unstated but the meaning was clear, it's not his officers responsibility to to sort out within milliseconds who the good guy with the gun is, its to control the situation and not to get themselves killed in the process. That is what we are seeing. The way we have allowed 2A to be interpreted and applied, has cost lives lots of lives. When I was growing up, a gun was to hunt with, for sport shooting and rarely for protecting the castle. Today, police (and I) assume everyone is carrying a gun. In an active shooter, police have not clue who is the active shooter. And in places like Florida they have actually relaxed laws the prohibit us from shooting each other. America's stupidity about guns is beyond measurement.
Who are you trying to convince?

There are millions of ccw holders in the USA and how many have been shot by cops.

You have more of a chance of dying in a auto accident then being killed by a cop.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

HayJenn

Jul 2014
CA
Does not help that the police department keeps changing it's story on this shooting

Hoover police can't seem to get their story straight on why an officer killed a man at an Alabama mall.

First, they said a 21-year-old suspect shot and wounded two other people. Then they saidEmantic Bradford didn't pull the trigger, but brandished a gun. Now we've learned Bradford didn't necessarily do that, either.

Hoover police issued another clarification, saying Bradford simply had a gun in his hand: Earlier, we stated that Mr. Bradford 'brandished' a gun. To clarify, the word 'brandish' was used because Mr. Bradford had a gun in his hand as police officers responded to the active shooter situation between mall patrons.
"
But to "brandish" -- according to most definitions -- means to wave or show a weapon in an aggressive or menacing way. Bradford was actually trying to help people to safety when he was shot, said his family's attorney, Ben Crump. Crump also said Bradford had a permit to carry a concealed weapon.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/27/us/alabama-mall-shooting-conflicting-police-accounts-trnd/index.html

Jun 2018
US
Does not help that the police department keeps changing it's story on this shooting

Hoover police can't seem to get their story straight on why an officer killed a man at an Alabama mall.

First, they said a 21-year-old suspect shot and wounded two other people. Then they saidEmantic Bradford didn't pull the trigger, but brandished a gun. Now we've learned Bradford didn't necessarily do that, either.

Hoover police issued another clarification, saying Bradford simply had a gun in his hand: Earlier, we stated that Mr. Bradford 'brandished' a gun. To clarify, the word 'brandish' was used because Mr. Bradford had a gun in his hand as police officers responded to the active shooter situation between mall patrons.
"
But to "brandish" -- according to most definitions -- means to wave or show a weapon in an aggressive or menacing way. Bradford was actually trying to help people to safety when he was shot, said his family's attorney, Ben Crump. Crump also said Bradford had a permit to carry a concealed weapon.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/27/us/alabama-mall-shooting-conflicting-police-accounts-trnd/index.html
The cops shot a guy with a gun saved countless lives and bragged about it before actually getting the facts.

Now egg on their face

Hopefully the state investigators wont be as incompetent.

Sep 2007
N48 51.489 E2 17.67119

There are millions of ccw holders in the USA and how many have been shot by cops.

You have more of a chance of dying in a auto accident then being killed by a cop.

Not my point. And that's suppose to make anyone feel better. I can't isolate out one aspect of the gun death problem in this country. Here is the only given, about 30,000 people will die from a GSW in 2018, another 70,000 will be wounded. Coincidentally, about 30,000 will die in car accidents. Cops are killing small children with toy guns. I really don't know what to make of that but, it also appears that most Americans don't care.

Jun 2018
US
Not my point. And that's suppose to make anyone feel better. I can't isolate out one aspect of the gun death problem in this country. Here is the only given, about 30,000 people will die from a GSW in 2018, another 70,000 will be wounded. Coincidentally, about 30,000 will die in car accidents. Cops are killing small children with toy guns. I really don't know what to make of that but, it also appears that most Americans don't care.
With the kids and toy guns.

All toy guns should not look like a real gun. Bright orange or yellow.

And pellet /BB guns should have some colors that cannot be removed.

I was just looking at an ad in mail. The damn bb gun looked like a clone of a real gun. I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

And it's a big responsibility, get in a car or get a CCW.

Jun 2011
God Bless Texas
I respect your opinion. However, if we have the right to carry, the police must take reasonable precautions so that they can disarm us safely. The body cam will tell us the details we need, but I think in general when you have someone who's not a criminal getting shot by the police, they were not actually in danger, even if they thought they were, so something in their process is not working correctly.
I understand your point. What is the point of carrying if you can't use it to defend yourself or others w/o getting shot by the police?

Jun 2011
God Bless Texas

White people. I do not automatically see race in every situation, but I do in this one.

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
My strategy has kept me alive so far. So I would not hesitate to use my firearm in self defense or protect others. No matter what your flawed scenario depicts.

Yes, but on this topic it only takes one bad day.