The FBI's iPhone Backdoor Would Compromise Security For Everyone

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
What do ya say? Let's not go here.

But backdoors come in lots of flavors. The FBI wants a special version of iOS that allows them to try thousands of passcodes without bricking the phone. But engineers have to write that code. It gets stored in Apple's version control system. Maintenance engineers update it when new iPhones come out. Librarians keep track of it. Other librarians make sure it's backed up. That's a lot of people who know how to access a very valuable piece of code. How safe do you think it would be?

No telling. And even if you trust Apple's legendary security, how about Microsoft's? Or Google's? Or Samsung's? Once you build a backdoor, you've compromised security for everyone. This is the problem Congress has to deal with.
The FBI's iPhone Backdoor Would Compromise Security For Everyone | Mother Jones

Reactions: 1 person

freecell

Former Staff
Jul 2006
Cary
I was on their side until I found out they did this many times before for the FBI. So why are they not doing it this time.

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
I was on their side until I found out they did this many times before for the FBI. So why are they not doing it this time.
I'm not tech savvy or anything, but from what I understand this isn't just for one phone, which I would totally be cool with along with a court order or subpoena or warrant or whatever. But this would give the FBI - and every other government agency - access to ALL iphones. I'm not cool with that.

Reactions: 1 person
Recent Similar Discussions Forum Date
Current Events