The federal deficit ballooned at start of new fiscal year, up 77 percent from a year before

Jan 2016
Colorado
Let us know when Trumps deficit gets as big as Obamas were.

Obama is still the champ in THAT dubious department...
He began that post talking about the TRADE deficit. The TRADE deficit is now higher than it was at ANY point during Obama's time in office. Trump promised to FIX the trade deficit, and it is now higher than it has been in over a DECADE. It is Trump's POLICIES that are CAUSING the trade deficit to BALLOON. As I have tried to explain to you over and over and over again.

When oh when oh when is this going to sink in???

Jul 2014
midwest
He began that post talking about the TRADE deficit. The TRADE deficit is now higher than it was at ANY point during Obama's time in office. Trump promised to FIX the trade deficit, and it is now higher than it has been in over a DECADE. It is Trump's POLICIES that are CAUSING the trade deficit to BALLOON. As I have tried to explain to you over and over and over again.

It was an analogy.

I learned that from one of our moderators.

Deflect all I want to and just call it an "analogy".

I learned from the best!

Well, we don't yet have this "trade war" solved.

Too soon to say how it's gonna end...

Yes, I hope it gets solved soon, and I hope we win!

Jul 2014
midwest

See post #87 for reference...

Jan 2016
Colorado
It was an analogy.

I learned that from one of our moderators.

Deflect all I want to and just call it an "analogy".

I learned from the best!

Well, we don't yet have this "trade war" solved.

Too soon to say how it's gonna end...

Yes, I hope it gets solved soon, and I hope we win!
Yeah, no one wins in a trade war. Like a nuclear war, trade wars are profoundly negative-sum, lose-lose wars. At least, that's what they teach in the Econ 101 and History 101 textbooks.....But, then,.....

Hegel (paraphrased): The greatest lesson of history is that people never learn from it.

Jul 2014
midwest
Yeah, no one wins in a trade war. Like a nuclear war, trade wars are profoundly negative-sum, lose-lose wars. At least, that's what they teach in the Econ 101 and History 101 textbooks.....But, then,.....

Hegel (paraphrased): The greatest lesson of history is that people never learn from it.
Obviously, some people think differently.

Maybe even people who have opinions that (gasp!) count more than yours.

I know, hard to believe, right?

Jul 2014
midwest
Post #88 was the one that you were responding to, and it began thusly: Trade deficit is higher than Obama's.

Which is a true fact, sure enough.
But, but, but...he brung up trade deficits!.

I'll just say mine was a "combo response".

How's THAT grab ya?

May 2007
your place
The federal budget deficit ballooned rapidly in the first four months of the fiscal year amid falling tax revenue and higher spending, the Treasury Department said Tuesday, posing a new challenge for the White House and Congress and they prepare for a number of budget battles. The deficit grew 77 percent in the first four months of fiscal year 2019 compared with the same period one year before, Treasury said. The total deficit for the four month period was $310 billion, Treasury said, up from $176 billion for the same period one year earlier.

“It’s big tax cuts combined with big increases in spending when they already had big deficits,” said former Senate Budget Committee Chairman Kent Conrad (D-N.D.). “So guess what, it’s craziness!”

When Republicans seized control of the House of Representatives during the Obama administration, lawmakers and White House officials embarked on a number of strained negotiations to try and reduce the gap between spending and tax revenue. During the Trump administration, there have not been any similar discussions, and Trump has largely pushed for an agenda of tax cuts and spending increases that had grown the deficit markedly.

Tax revenue for October 2018 through January 2019 fell $19 billion, or 2 percent, Treasury said. It noted a major reduction in corporate tax payments over the first four months of the fiscal year, falling close to 25 percent, or $17 billion.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...01ffb5bd5e6_story.html?utm_term=.123301f84635

Yeah, so much "winning" right?

I guess the Trump party does not care about deficits anymore.

This will be come a republican hot button issue once a Democrat is in the whitehouse.