The federal deficit ballooned at start of new fiscal year, up 77 percent from a year before

May 2007
your place
We have MANY legitimate complaints about the Chinese and their trading practices, no doubt. The Trans-Pacific Partnership, The TPP agreement that Trump withdrew us from on his FIRST day in office, was DESIGNED to address that! Most Americans don't even KNOW that China was quite deliberately excluded from the TPP, and that it was an effort by us and our allies to exert tremendous pressure on the Chinese to change their ways. Withdrawing from it was actually an amazing act of American surrender, as if we were raising up the white flag, and they were popping the champagne corks in Beijing when Trump did that.

The TPP was never ratified while Obama was in office. When it comes to stopping North Korea from getting nukes, any of the presidents before Trump could have done a speech from the Oval Office letting Americans know that the Chinese were protecting and enabling North Korea and that the US was going to stop trading with China completely until they stop enabling North Korea and also stop cheating and stealing from America. We could have let our allies that we impose sanctions on any country that continued to trade with China.

This could have hurt our economy at the time but it is better to have a financial problem than having North Korea having nukes and the long term financial screwing by China.

The TPP wasn’t going to stop China from protecting and trading with North Korea.

It would seemed crazy to do an all out trade war and shut off trade completely but making your enemies think you are crazy and unpredictable is a sound tactic.

Trump was not my choice but I don’t mind think imposing tariffs on Chinese goods is a mistake. Even if he shut down trade completely. The Chinese government is screwing us from every angle possible. We have been China’s bitch long enough.

Sep 2013
On a hill
Yeah. I'm not disputing that. I'm just disputing the folks who say we could "balance the budget" by getting rid of all the "waste, fraud, and abuse".
Arnold said that's what hed do as governor. The result - we elected a democratic governor, and a democtatic majority after his failure.

Jan 2016
Colorado
The TPP was never ratified while Obama was in office. When it comes to stopping North Korea from getting nukes, any of the presidents before Trump could have done a speech from the Oval Office letting Americans know that the Chinese were protecting and enabling North Korea and that the US was going to stop trading with China completely until they stop enabling North Korea and also stop cheating and stealing from America. We could have let our allies that we impose sanctions on any country that continued to trade with China.

This could have hurt our economy at the time but it is better to have a financial problem than having North Korea having nukes and the long term financial screwing by China.

The TPP wasn’t going to stop China from protecting and trading with North Korea.

It would seemed crazy to do an all out trade war and shut off trade completely but making your enemies think you are crazy and unpredictable is a sound tactic.

Trump was not my choice but I don’t mind think imposing tariffs on Chinese goods is a mistake. Even if he shut down trade completely. The Chinese government is screwing us from every angle possible. We have been China’s bitch long enough.
Report: Long Trade War Will Hurt America More Than China

Many if not all of our allies had and have precisely the same complaints about unfair Chinese trade practices that we have. Instead of working with our allies to address these issues, Mr. Trump has succeeded only in alienating our allies by imposing tariffs on THEM. It is beyond ridiculous to claim that CANADIAN steel represented any threat to American national security, and yet Mr. Trump did exactly that.

May 2007
your place
Report: Long Trade War Will Hurt America More Than China

Many if not all of our allies had and have precisely the same complaints about unfair Chinese trade practices that we have. Instead of working with our allies to address these issues, Mr. Trump has succeeded only in alienating our allies by imposing tariffs on THEM. It is beyond ridiculous to claim that CANADIAN steel represented any threat to American national security, and yet Mr. Trump did exactly that.

From what I remember, the Canadians had tariffs on dairy products but can’t remember what else. I would have to read up on it.

But overall, my feeling is that Trump was right that the US is coming up with the short end of the stick in many situations with many different countries.

Oct 2011
Washington State
It may be coming.

Let us know when it actually happens.

We KNOW that Obama had the biggest deficits.

That is a fact.
Doesn't matter. Trump's worse than Obama when it comes to the economy. Obama was handed the worst economy since the Great Depression. Trump inherited an economy on the upswing. Big difference.

But keep defending Trump even though you didn't vote for him.

Apr 2015
Katmandu
Doesn't matter. Trump's worse than Obama when it comes to the economy. Obama was handed the worst economy since the Great Depression. Trump inherited an economy on the upswing. Big difference.

Economic fell by over 40% from 2015 to 2016 to only 1.5%, consumer confidence peaked in 2015 and was in decline up till election day, $1.4 trillion was added to the national debt in 2016, job creation rates had seen year over year declines, it wasn't the rosy picture you paint.

Jul 2014
midwest

Of COURSE it doesn't matter to you.

Because he had a "D" after his name.

You are just like the parties.

When YOUR party is in power the deficit does not matter,.

When YOUR party is out of power, the deficit is a big issue again.

Thanks for proving my point!

Oct 2011
Washington State
Of COURSE it doesn't matter to you.

Because he had a "D" after his name.

You are just like the parties.

When YOUR party is in power the deficit does not matter,.

When YOUR party is out of power, the deficit is a big issue again.

Thanks for proving my point!
You didn't prove anything. Obama had a financial crisis to deal with, Trump was handed a economy on the upswing. Trump's doing damage under a stable economy. No reason to give $2 Trillion tax break to the richest Americans , trade deficits at a record high, and a huge budget deficit that continues to grow.

Trump's even worse, hands down. Keep defending Trump though.