The Friendship of Ellen and GWB

Libertine

Apr 2015
Katmandu
I don't agree with Ellen on some issues, but she seems to keep it classy and avoid controversial topics, and you really have to respect that. She did a lot for the child of a friend who was a disabled vet.

GWB must be fun to hang out with, he always seems to be happy and keep the people around him laughing and having a good time.

“Here’s the thing: I’m friends with George Bush. In fact, I’m friends with a lot of people who don’t share the same beliefs that I have. We’re all different and I think that we’ve forgotten that we’re all different.

“But just because I don’t agree with someone on everything doesn’t mean I’m not gonna be friends with them," DeGeneres continued. "When I say be kind to one another, I don’t mean only the people that think the same way you do. I mean be kind to everyone. It doesn’t matter."

Oct 2011
Washington State
I'd sit down with Bush and have a beer with him. Not Trump though, he's a disgusting racist pig. I wonder if Ellen would go as far as to sit down with Trump? I doubt it. Being a racist pig says something about your character.

Chief

Former Staff
Nov 2009
SoCal
I'd sit down with Bush and have a beer with him. Not Trump though, he's a disgusting racist pig. I wonder if Ellen would go as far as to sit down with Trump? I doubt it. Being a racist pig says something about your character.
I think Bush really was open minded, even if he believed certain things, he was able to listen to others also. This is why he was able to cultivate friendships with the Obama's, Elton John, Ellen DeGeneres, etc.

Babba

Former Staff
Jul 2007
So. Md.
I have lots of friends and family that I don't agree with on a lot of things. She's right. That doesn't mean you can't be friends and be friendly. Michelle Obama and GW Bush are friends, too.

Apr 2019
down on Rue Morgue Avenue
I have a lot of respect for Ellen. Its such an important point...

“But just because I don’t agree with someone on everything doesn’t mean I’m not gonna be friends with them," DeGeneres continued. "When I say be kind to one another, I don’t mean only the people that think the same way you do. I mean be kind to everyone. It doesn’t matter."

Reactions: Babba and bajisima

Devil505

Former Staff
Jan 2008
Florida
I think Bush really was open minded, even if he believed certain things, he was able to listen to others also. This is why he was able to cultivate friendships with the Obama's, Elton John, Ellen DeGeneres, etc.
Seems like a good guy....but a disaster as president.

Oct 2011
Washington State
I have lots of friends and family that I don't agree with on a lot of things. She's right. That doesn't mean you can't be friends and be friendly. Michelle Obama and GW Bush are friends, too.
Can you be friends with people who still support this President? I get that people are going to have different political views but someone who supports an outright racist? I think that's where I draw the line.