The Greatest Threat to American Journalism

Jan 2015
Great State of Texas
We have become too full of our own opinions, too enthralled with our own celebrity, too emotionally offended by warranted and unwarranted criticism, and too astray from the neutral, factual voice our teachers in journalism school insisted we practice.

It was that neutral voice that compelled Americans to welcome television newscasters Walter Cronkite or Peter Jennings into their living rooms each night. It was that commitment to factual reporting without slant that made the morning and evening newspapers mandatory reading.

And it was that relentless but emotionally detached commitment to truth, context and fairness — even when enemies sought to discredit us — that exposed such wrongs as Watergate, the Tuskegee experiments and the deplorable treatments at Walter Reed Hospital.

The traits that have made journalism great and respected and impactful for most of the past century are sorely lacking in many of today’s practitioners.

The greatest threat to American journalism: the loss of neutral reporting

I have been saying for some time now that Journalism in America is dead.

Although, I agree with the author of this article on many points I think he fails to mention that today's Journalism is more than just about slant or the authors own political opinion.

There is the intentional and deliberate publishing of false information in an attempt to shape the political landscape.

This should not even be called Journalism.

But, it is what passes for "Journalism" today in America.

The American people know this.

I have also stated in the past and I maintain this position that Donald Trump's victory was a referendum on many things, one of which was the MSM.

Last edited:
Jul 2015
Florida
The greatest threat to American journalism: the loss of neutral reporting

I have been saying for some time now that Journalism in America is dead.

Although, I agree with the author of this article on many points I think he fails to mention that today's Journalism is more than just about slant or the authors own political opinion.

There is the intentional and deliberate publishing of false information in an attempt to shape the political landscape.

This should not even be called Journalism.

But, it is what passes for "Journalism" today in America.

The American people know this.

I have also stated in the past and I maintain this position that Donald Trump's victory was a referendum on many things, one of which was the MSM.
FOX KILLED IT! The rest piled on the coffin. It worked quite well. FOX elected 2 presidents. Now it OWNS one.

Last edited:

kmiller1610

Former Staff
Mar 2007
Fox is not different than any other cable news outlet with a partisan bent. In fact, since they have Chris Wallace, they are better than most.

Chris Wallace on Interviewing Putin, and Why He Isn’t Afraid to Visit Russia

He confronted President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia about meddling in American elections, presented him with a copy of the special counsel’s indictment of a dozen Russian intelligence agents and, to Mr. Putin’s clear displeasure, asked why so many of his political opponents ended up dead.

So Chris Wallace, after wrapping up his contentious interview with the Russian leader in Helsinki last week, did the logical next thing: He took a vacation.

To Russia.
Now that's journalism.